Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Melanoma burst/ruptured?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Melanoma burst/ruptured?

Postby jamon20 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Juliet, my gray pony mare, has had a melanoma under her throat latch area for about a year and half-two years. I went down to the barn today and I took her into the barn and noticed that there was blood under her chin. I got a better look at it and noticed, that the melanoma had ruptured in two. One side was essentially dead skin that I was able to pull off. The melanoma had been just under the size of a quarter. There is no pus, only blood. I believe the 'flesh' part of the tumor is still intact, I'll get a better look and post pictures tomorrow.
I put Scarlex and Swat on it. Is this something that will require a vet's attention? Should it just be treated like a normal wound? Anyone have this happen before? Advice?
jamon20

Melanoma burst/ruptured?

Postby aviah » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:25 pm

so sorry
aviah

Melanoma burst/ruptured?

Postby hannraoi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:30 pm

you should see a vet. i dont know about melanoma on a horse, but on humans if it doesnt get treated right away it can kill them.
hannraoi

Melanoma burst/ruptured?

Postby makkapitew38 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:38 pm

you should see a vet. i dont know about melanoma on a horse, but on humans if it doesnt get treated right away it can kill them.
shes probably okay like you said.. but i would get a vet just to make sure.
makkapitew38

Melanoma burst/ruptured?

Postby choviohoya » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 pm

I have a gray WB that has several melanomas. Last year, one began to change and it ruptured with that nasty black blood looking material coming out of it. I called my vet and he said just to watch it, that this was typical of melanomas in horses and it should typically dry up again and be as it was before. He was right. It oozed for a couple of weeks on and off but it did not get a lot larger and there was not not a substantial change in the tissue.

Because your horse has the lesion on the throat latch area, that is a pretty important area. The ones my horse has does not interfere with any movement nor are they located in a delicate area. Because this is in the throat latch, it might get aggravated by the bridle so I would really watch it. I would probably call the vet and at least talk to him about it. He may want to take a look and it is always better to be on the safe side. Because my horse's lesions are not obstructive in any way, we just watched it and it subsided in 3-4 weeks and is dormant again. I would just keep it clean but again, a call to the vet wouldn't hurt. Good luck. I'm sure she will be fine.
choviohoya

Melanoma burst/ruptured?

Postby chano » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:47 pm

Because this is a malignant tumor and not normal tissue, it should not be dismissed and treated as you would treat a normal tissue wound. As for equine melanoma being "generally harmless", that is not an accurate statement. While human melanoma differs from equine melanoma, it is still a malignant cancer in horses that can spread systemically and can behave in varied ways. While some melanomas may behave like benign growths, a number equine melanomas spontaneously develop into very large, multinodular, advanced and infiltrative tumors that metastasize to other locations. All equine melanomas are malignant cancers and even the smallest most seemingly benign tumors can at any time develop new patterns of growth.

When an injury to the tumor such as this occurs, a call to the vet is warranted. No two cases of melanoma are identical, and your individual horse will benefit most from medical evaluation of the injured lesion by a vet with expertise in treating melanoma. At the very least, a call to the vet is warranted.
chano

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer