Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Lymph Node that changes in size?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby kaysan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:05 am

I have a lymph node that has been "acting up" for nearly a year. It started with an ear infection last August to be exact. Ever since it swells off and on. When it's really swollen it hurts and usually coincides with ear ache, sore throat and sometimes general sinus symptoms. I am just wondering if this is a sign of lymphoma? I would assume that with cancer it would probably remain enlarged all the time or continue to get bigger. I've also read that lymphomas usually involve more than one lymph node. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.
kaysan

Postby ellmer66 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:16 am

What you are describing is what lymph nodes are supposed to do.

EDIT: There is no reason to take antibiotics especially if you feel fine.
There is no way to tell if it is bacterial or viral and taking antibiotics unnecessarily is completely irresponsible and why we now have things like MIRSA.
ellmer66

Postby cruim37 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 am

You likely have an ongoing sinus/ear infection. Sometimes these infections stay in the area for years due to congenital defects which don't allow proper healing due to abnormal structures in the area. The best thing at this point would be to consult with a ENT(ears-nose-throat)doctor and get to the bottom of this. The enlarged lymph node should resolve after the cause of infection is dealt with. Good Luck
cruim37

Postby richardo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:44 am

whenever a lymph node enlarges in size it is either due to any defect in the node itself (like infection, cancer, etc.) of infection of the body part which the node drains i.e. parts of the body from where the lymph flown via channels to the particular node. From what you are stating, it is due to the latter. The infection must not have been treated completely the first time it occurred. I suggest you go for a complete regimen of antibiotics of 5 days and DO NOT stop the drug before 5 days even if everything seems fine, lest it might flare up later again.
richardo

Return to Lymphoma