Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Lumps on both sides of neck of dog?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby riagan37 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:47 pm

My neighbor's 8 year old yellow lab has very large lumps on both sides of his neck right on either side of his throat. Since they are even, i have ruled out cancer or a tumor (right?) but he obviously isnt feeling his best, he isnt as excited about things as usual and has not been eating or drinking much at all. what is probably wrong with him? I want her to take the dog to the vet but i'm not sure she wants to since it could be bad and she doesn't want to put him down. any suggestions? the lumps aren't too tender to the touch and they arne't hard, more like the feeling of fruit snacks. (sorry i know its gross) but they are kind of movable and i can like hold them in my hands, so yes they are quite large.
riagan37

Postby worrell » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:51 pm

could be lymph nodes, and it could be cancer or tumor
worrell

Postby pyrs » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Sounds like it's probably lymph nodes. I would take the dog to the vet, it could be something simple and it may be something not simple. Either way, it's best to find out so you can take care of the issue.
pyrs

Postby king » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:01 pm

they could be fatty tumors or swollen or have a infection in his lymph nodes if it's is just the lymph nodes there are medications for this . I think she should take the dog to the vet to rule out cancer. there are different kinds of cancer so you can't go by how the lumps feel.
king

Postby winfrid » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:05 pm

I don't want to scare you but my dog had the same thing and I didn't realize how serious it was. I should have noticed that she had been losing some weight and didn't seem to have the energy she used to have. She was 9. I finally took her to a vet and he said she did have cancer of the windpipe and if I didn't do something she would eventually suffocate to death. They did surgery and she lived another 1-1/2 years. They said surgery wouldn't cure her but would extend her life. I finally had to put her to sleep but I made sure she was very happy during the extra time she had. Sometimes I think I should have just put her to sleep when diagnosed because when the cancer did come back it came back with a vengence. Now, maybe that is not the case with your dog (I really hope it isn't) but if it is what the doggie has, the poor thing is probably miserable. Please tell them to get the dog to a vet asap. Dogs are like our family and should be treated as such. If one of our family had something suspicious, we would take care of it asap. Please have them give the same help to their 8 year old lab. If she does have cancer, she is suffering, believe me.
winfrid

Postby watts35 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:08 pm

take him to a vet and get them removed asap, leaving them make him suffer more. A vet can determine if they are serious or not. if left the owner can get charged with animal abuse for not taking proper actions on getting the dog to see a vet. the dog might not even have to be put down, but the longer she waits the worse it will get and it will become more of an option. The owner is being selfish!
watts35

Postby garran » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Your neighbor needs to take that dog to a vet. If the lumps are placed evenly on both sides of the dogs neck, it could be swollen glands. Just like what we get when we are sick. The dog is sick from something. I can't imagine your neighbor trying to guess about this and not get the dog medical care by now. It could be serious. If she loves her dog, she will take him to the vet.
garran

Postby gwynfor » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:19 pm

"Since they are even, i have ruled out cancer or a tumor (right?)"

As you are obviously a qualified oncologist, why are you asking us?
gwynfor

Postby woodley90 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:24 pm

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out a malignancy if I were you. Are you a vet? It's possible the dog does indeed have cancer and the swollen lymph nodes are alerting the owner that something is very wrong.

Your neighbor needs to take this dog to the vet without delay. The dog is sick and not wanting to face this because it might be something bad is selfish. What about the dog? He's not well. She needs to put the welfare of the dog before her own fear of whatever the outcome will be.

I doubt a vet could diagnose this as being a benign condition without the necessary pathology result of a FNA being done.
woodley90

Return to Stomach Cancer