Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Lump on my dog that's hard?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby montae » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:32 am

Ok my vet's in Tue and Thu and I'm talking to her tmw about my other dog so I will be asking her this too.

I was rubbing my dog's belly and on his lower chest on one side I felt an oval shaped hard lump. Maybe the size of a skinny long fingernail and it feels hard like a bone and the skin moves over it. It won't move. It's in such a weird spot and feels just like a bone but I don't know! Is this what a cancer lump feels like??(yes I worry probably too much) he's 4 years old flat coat retriever.

I know no one can dx over the net but are cancer lumps hard like a bone because I thought it would be soft.
montae

Postby chonen » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:42 am

Absolutely have it checked out. But hard lumps can be cancerous or they can be benign. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell without an examination. I have had experience with two dogs having hard, unmovable lumps - very similar in size and shape. One proved to be benign and the other was unfortunately cancerous - and we eventually lost him.

But, there was no way that diagnosis could have been made without a biopsy. Good luck!
chonen

Postby celestine » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:48 am

we found a lump on our terrier years ago and it turned out to be an infected splinter and the vet just burst it so hope its just something simple like that he's only 4 so i wouldn't imagine it been cancer. Best of luck tomorrow:)
celestine

Postby cacey » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:50 am

we found a lump on our terrier years ago and it turned out to be an infected splinter and the vet just burst it so hope its just something simple like that he's only 4 so i wouldn't imagine it been cancer. Best of luck tomorrow:)
My dog literally just had the same thing! Dont worry, im 99% sure its just a wart, thats what my dog had. but just to be sure i would go to the vet.
cacey

Postby lee21 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:52 am

Only the vet can tell you for sure.
lee21

Postby aghamore61 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:01 am

They can vary, that's why any lump should be checked by the vet.
aghamore61

Postby walton » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 am

tumor
cyst
injury
\blood clot
infection
cancer
walton

Return to Stomach Cancer