Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Lower left back pain and blood in stool, what is it?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Postby masselin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:02 am

I'm 19 years old, female, and over the past 8 months or so I've been experiencing lower left back pain and blood in my stool. The blood in my stool has been consistent over the 8 months but the lower left back pain comes and goes every couple of weeks.
I've seen numerous doctors and they all said the back pain is muscular, due to wearing heels out all night and dancing too much. They also thought that it may be due to the fact that I was athletic throughout highschool and then stopped working out in college. But my three months of physical therapy didn't help at all.
Recently, I went to urgent care because of intense back pain to the point where I couldn't sleep and nausea. They treated it as a kidney infection, though my urine didn't show any sign of this.
At my follow-up appointment a week later the doctor told me my pain may be due to constipation, as I noticed that when I have this back pain it is usually after a long period of not having a bowel movement.
But overall, none of these theories seem to check out with me. And I'm really starting to think that the back pain and the blood in my stool are related in some way. Basically, I'm frustrated (and after googling my symptoms and seeing "colon cancer" is a possibility, I'm very worried) and would like some input from other people who have maybe experienced the same thing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
masselin

Postby all » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:06 am

Colorectal cancer is deadly and these are classic symptoms. Don't think you're too young. You could be dead wrong. Mention it and get tested!
all

Postby maeret46 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:10 am

i think its kidney problems but blood in stools can also be ulcers, hemriods or stomach problems. blood in the stools is common and can be lots of things.
maeret46

Postby hasiel » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:12 am

I am assuming that the blood in your stool is due to the constipation causing fissure around your anal area which the blood is usually light red which also could be the colon near the rectum. When you took a dump did it hurt?. Since your pain goes away it takes away a certain stenosis symptom so its not that, so It could be the muscle and not bones or both. It's more likely to be muscle since its the lower left back and not the middle unless a constriction is within the bone. Is the pain near the lumbar spine or the thoractic spine? Here's the chart picture of the spine http://balajiinternationaltraders.com/IMAGES/spinal_chart.jpg

Ok.. So I assume it's
diverticulitis cause the symptom match here It's actually common .

http://www.medicinenet.com/diverticulosis/article.htm

What are the symptoms of diverticular disease?

Most patients with diverticulosis have few or no symptoms. The diverticulosis in these individuals is found incidentally during tests for other intestinal problems. Twenty percent of patients with diverticulosis will develop symptoms related to diverticulosis. The most common symptoms of diverticular disease include:

* abdominal cramping,

* constipation, and

* diarrhea.

The bottom is just saying to eat food high in fiber to prevent the constipation.

Medical treatment of diverticulitis

Most patients with diverticulosis have minimal or no symptoms, and do not require any specific treatment. A high fiber diet and fiber supplements are advisable to prevent constipation and perhaps prevent the formation of more diverticula.

Patients with mild symptoms of abdominal pain due to muscular spasm in the area of the diverticula may benefit from anti-spasmodic drugs such as:

* chlordiazepoxide (Librax),

* dicyclomine (Bentyl),

* atropine, scopolamine, phenobarb (Donnatal), and

* hyoscyamine (Levsin).

Some doctors also recommend avoidance of nuts, corn, and seeds to prevent complications of diverticulosis. Whether these dietary restrictions are beneficial is uncertain.

When diverticulitis occurs, antibiotics are usually needed. Oral antibiotics are sufficient when symptoms are mild. Some examples of commonly prescribed antibiotics include:

* ciprofloxacin (Cipro),

* metronidazole (Flagyl),

* cephalexin (Keflex), and

* doxycycline (Vibramycin).

Liquid or low fiber foods are advised during acute attacks of diverticulitis. This is done to reduce the amount of material that passes through the colon, which at least theoretically, may aggravate the diverticulitis. In severe diverticulitis with high fever and pain, patients are hospitalized and given intravenous antibiotics. Surgery is needed for patients with persistent bowel obstruction or abscess not responding to antibiotics.

3rd reply

No everyone is different your symptom doesn't need to be diarrhea and it's Not Colorectal cancer. Some people have little to no symptom. You ended up with constipation and pain on your left bottom. And yes it said about the bleeding state to.

Diverticular disease increases with age. It is uncommon before the age of forty, and is seen in more than fifty percent of people over the age of 60 years in the United States. Whereas most patients with diverticular disease (have no or few symptoms), some patients will develop bleeding, rupture and infection (diverticulitis), constipation, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and even colonic obstruction.

Ask the doctor about Diverticular and ask what they think if you want, or you could eat food high in fiber which is usually veggies.
hasiel

Return to Colon Cancer