Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Long Distance Relationship?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby ethelred » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:44 am

My long distance girlfriend lives in twentynine palms, California and I live in Salem, Oregon. we are both 18. anyway we met on Facebook and have been going out for 3 months now I've never seen her in person we never skyped I've just seen pictures of her and I talk to her on the phone everyday for hours at a time. about a month into the relationship she found out and told me her kidneys were failing after she got the transplant she needed about a week later she found out she had leukemia and only a year to live so though out my relationship with her she's been in the hospital quite a few times. so now she is leaving tomorrow night to go to some cancer research hospital pretty far from where she lives for two weeks and during that time in not gonna be able to comminicate with her at all. we both love each other very much and are planning to see each other this summer. my question is how can I go these next two weeks without worrying and missing her so much. I can barely go a day without talking to her so two weeks is gonna be an eternity without being able to hear her voice.
ethelred

Postby Broin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:53 am

Long distance relationships usually don't work. But try harder to communicate with her. Try skyping/facetiming when she gets out of the hospital. Also try texting and talking on the phone daily when you guys aren't busy. I'm sure she'd really appreciate it that you are thinking about her. See what happens when you get to talk to her, and if it doesn't work take a break until you guys will be able to see each other in person, or if that isn't possible, just don't waste your time and move on.
Broin

Postby birkir » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:56 am

it can be very hard
birkir

Postby rye71 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:04 am

I think it's amazing that you're there for here. As you can imagine, this might be such a horrific experience for her. Having you, gives her hope, and something to live for, which will, give her the best experience possible for limited time. I thinks it's perfectly okay, and I think it's good for her and you. If you loose her, (sorry to bring it up) but it will be very hard for you, but being there for her will make the remaining time she has worth it. Just let the doctors do their thing, and hope the best. Being there for her, and telling her that you love her, is the best thing you can do for her. They are doing a reality show called "catfish" I think. ) and its about online relationships finally meeting each other in person. I know that "catfish" is a movie, but they made a reality tv show. You should watch it defiantly, and try to contact them if you want. I totally don't know if you even care about that stuff, but aside from that, I think that it's amazing for you to be there for her, and give her hope to see you. It might be good for you to have a little bit of a break from communication if that 2 weeks is what you were implying, because of what might result, just so it won't be so extremely painful. It's good for you 2 to love each other, especially because of how hard it might be for her. Good luck, and I'm terribly sorry that she's so sick. Good luck again. :)
rye71

Postby Lyulph » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:06 am

Overlooking the fact that this could end tragically, I would say just find things to do. I know when my boyfriend was out of town for a week and a half I bought paint by numbers and rented lots of movies and read lots of books to keep my mind off of it.

You can also try to keep yourself busy with friends.
Lyulph

Return to Leukemia Forum