Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Can Aspirin Reduce Pancreatic Cancer Risk?

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Life expectancy of a person with stage 4 liver cirrhosis?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby grangere25 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:05 pm

My father has stage 4 liver cirrhosis (Early stages as far as i'm aware) and was diagnosed with it about 2 months ago, more or less. I dont think its chemo because he doesnt have cancer, but he has to take these drugs for 12 months (he has to inject himself and visit the hospital every week. It will have nearly all side effects) and has a very strict diet, and can never have alcohol again. side effects he has now is drowsiness, confusion, abdominalpain, abdominal swelling (ascites), jaundice etc. How long would he have? what are the chances of like 1, 2 years? will he even make it through treatment?
grangere25

Postby thorntun40 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi Bianca, I see you've posted quite a few questions about this. It's best you ask your Dad straight up. He probably knows, you need to talk to him about it and start to sort out what you're going to do when he dies.

No one "makes it through" liver cirrhosis. It's permanent damage and there is NO cure.

Make things good with him and enjoy the time you have.
thorntun40

Postby brant » Tue May 08, 2012 3:17 pm

No one can say how long your father has to live. His doctor is the one who sees all his testing, knows his history, has the education and experience to possibly give an estimate of how long his liver might last. There is no possible way anyone can know it here. It might be near the end, it might be years. The treatment might help slow it down, maybe not. There is just no way to know. If the liver does fail, he might qualify for liver transplant and live to be a hundred.
brant

Postby angelino » Tue May 08, 2012 3:20 pm

I've seen another question that is similar to yours. You should consider reading the answers posted in there.

Here's the link http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090716083006AAFSvaj
angelino

Return to Stomach Cancer