Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Life expectancy for metastatic breast cancer to the lungs, spine and brain being treated by chemo radiation?

Anything relating to brain tumors symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Life expectancy for metastatic breast cancer to the lungs, spine and brain being treated by chemo radiation?

Postby knocks » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:33 am

My mum has metastatic breast cancer. It has spread to her lymph nodes, lungs (4 tumours), spine (T7), and we just found out that she has at least 7, small (mm), slow-growing tumours in her brain. She is having heavy duty chemotheraphy, then will have two weeks of radiation to her brain, then another bout of chemotherapy. What life expectancy should I expect for her? No-one will tell me and I just want and need some idea even though I know it won't be 100% accurate. Thankyou
knocks

Postby richardgere69 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 am

I'm so very sorry about your mom, hon. The reason no one is giving you a life expectancy rate is likely because they don't know. She could very well beat this thing and live another 50 years. All you can do is be supportive and be there for her. And treasure each and every moment.
richardgere69

Postby ward61 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:42 am

I'm truly sorry for the pain you're going through. My mom died of colon cancer when I was just 17 years of age. But you know what... sometimes I actually feel her near. Our mom's never really leave us.
Good luck to you.
ward61

Postby arledge » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:52 am

There is really NO WAY to put a life expectancy on something. The only thing you can do is hope her body will survive the chemotherapy and that the cancer will react to the chemotherapy as planned. Now, I'm going to be honest here, her chances of dying during treatment can be high depending on her health and age. But you also can't deny that there are thousands of people that survive the worst of odds. All you can do is pray.
arledge

Postby japhet25 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:58 am

No one can answer that question, of how long she is going to live. This is a hard question to answer, because you are young and no one wants to hurt you. I will say a prayer for your mom and you tonight when I go to bed.

I would trust what Happymoms says.
japhet25

Postby lleweliyn22 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:02 am

My mom had the same thing. I'm so sorry to hear that. Everyone is different but this was my mom's experience:
She was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a lump removed. 4 lymph nodes tested positive. She then went through chemo (not the strongest, didn't lost her hair) and radiation. She was fine for 2 years and then found out it had metastasized to several areas (spine, arms, legs, lungs, kidney). Again she started chemo and radiation. A year later they found a spot on her brain, just behind her right eye. That's when things really began to change. She didn't act herself at times. She always knew who we were but she had a hard time figuring things out. She passed away 4 months after they found the spot on her brain. She was up and around until the last month when she became bedridden. She was still aware of everything and knew all of us the day before she died.
Like I said, everyone is different and this is my mom's story. I hope the best for yours. My heart goes out to you. Spend as much time as you can with her and tell her everything you feel in your heart.
lleweliyn22

Return to Brain Tumors