Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Life expectancy after stopping brain cancer treatment?

Anything relating to brain tumors symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby reginhard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:01 pm

If treatment for malignant brain tumors is no longer effective & a patient is told by a doctor to stop treatment, about how long do they have to live?
I realize that there are a lot of factors that come into play with cancer, but I'm just looking for an estimate?
If it helps with an estimated answer, there are 20+ brain tumors currently.
reginhard

Postby naseem » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:04 pm

My husband is currently being treated for a recurring tumor, Glioblastoma stage IV, initial diagnosis was almost 4 years ago in June of 2007. Recurrence diagnosed in January was treated with cyberknife and subsequently and currently with Avastin. He is in really bad shape, even with treatments, no appreciable quality of life. I asked his physician what to expect if we were to opt out of treatments and he responded there would be an approximate 2 month life expectancy. With 20 plus various types of brain tumors, I would guess that there at least that many different ways to respond to your question. Life expectancies are merely statistical averages. So when a doctor told me he would most likely survive 6 months, that means some patients die in a month, others in one year. That is a wide spread. A four year GBM survival rate is almost unheard of. Best of Luck.
naseem

Postby brant » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:06 pm

There are a lot of factors that would have to be considered, but in all probably less than a year, maybe even less than 6 months.
brant

Return to Brain Tumors