Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Lethargic cat, not eating, sleeping a lot. Anything to do with snow? (10 points best answer)?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Lethargic cat, not eating, sleeping a lot. Anything to do with snow? (10 points best answer)?

Postby lynne » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:47 am

Our 2 year old cat is usually a very active little thing, but yesterday she has slowed down, doesn't appear to be eating and is sleeping a lot. Usually she would bound into the house but she slowly walked in today. She was alright yesterday morning but it started not long after it began to snow. She has also eaten some meat that she stole out the bin that had gone off so we are wondering if that could have anything to do with it. We called the vets and they said to give her some chicken, take away her other food but keep the water, watch her for 24 hours and if she isn't better take her to the vets. I'm worried because my mum stupidly never got her inoculated for feline leukemia, she was told that it was only for outdoor cats but our cat goes out sometimes and prefers outside as a litter tray. She has had all of her other inoculations, is microchipped, spayed and is de-flead and de-wormed regularly. Also we are getting our new kitten on Monday and I'm worried that if it is something infectious that the little kitten who is only about 6 or 7 weeks may get it. I am nearly 100% sure its not feline leukemia but there is always a chance.
lynne

Postby yeung » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:47 am

It sounds like your cat is healthy and cared for, so it's most likely not feline leukemia. It could very likely have something to do with the snow and winter. Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD, is not just common in humans but is also prominent in cats. Factors such as light, temperature, sleep, eating habits, and exercise could all be contributing things to the state of your cat. Based on the description and the fact that your cat started to behave this way after it started snowing, i think that is the problem. No need to worry about it though, it will pass! Here is a link on SAD in cats for more information:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5369713_seasonal-affective-disorder-cats.html

Hope that helps!!
yeung

Postby landers » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:51 am

I suspect poisoning - the meat she ate from the bin might not be the only meat she's pinched - there is a lot of rat poison out just now as it has been a mild winter, and the rat population has soared as a result - many pets are being poisoned by eating poisoned arts and mice. See your vet anyway, please.You're not a bad owner - far from it but she needs a spot of looking at.
landers

Return to Lymphoma