Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Lead in Airsoft and hunting rifles causing cancer?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Postby brigg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:21 pm

I hunt a lot, i have a pretty standard everyday hunting rifle, my nephew has a lot of airsoft guns and a rifle, he's 17, and has grown up his whole life learning how to use guns the right way, he does competitive shooting and just has some for fun. On all the user manuals I see on any guns, real or airsoft they say "Warning, contains lead, a chemical found to cause cancer by the state of California". I was wondering, sense i have guns myself and always touching the barrels and ammo reloading etc, will this cause any type of issues for either me or my nephew in the future? Cancer, lead poisoning, etc.
brigg

Postby ely » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Wash you hands after you are done with them, you will be fine. It really won't hurt you unless you eat the lead. Now if it had mercury you should be worried. But for real it won't hurt you at all as long as your not eating it.
ely

Postby farand » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:41 pm

Only if you're in California.

But seriously, it's not really an issue has long has you shoot in a well ventilated area and was your hands after handling ammo. Guns don't have any lead in them. It's the ammo that has it. You shouldn't have to worry about it.
farand

Postby danforth88 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Apparently California has found that every chemical, including dihydrogen monoxide, causes cancer.
danforth88

Postby brant » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Them idiots in CA are something else. They must lick the inside of guns and bullets. In airsoft, the lead that they are talking about is probably in the solder.
brant

Postby grigor94 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:51 pm

It generally takes more than even eating it to do anything. Without doing any research because it's too late at night (Absolutely nothing to do with my laziness) the lead has to directly enter your blood stream to cause any real effect. Just wash your hands and you'll be fine. When washing lead from your hands however, use cold water because that closes the pores in your hands and prevents any lead from getting in. Also at a guess I would say that the lead warning must be compulsory for any kind of gun/firearm product where you are because there's absolutely no lead in an airsoft gun unless it has weighted grips, though I'm pretty sure they use some kind of alloy for that.
grigor94

Return to Cancer Prevention