Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Biomarker Discovered for Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Kitten's rectum is red, swollen, and painful!?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby wilmod » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:01 pm

We got a kitten from the pound. He is very playful and active. However, his rectum is very swollen, red and he can not feel when stool is being pushed out. Sometimes blood follows his stool. His belly is also very swollen. When I try to wipe the feces from his rectum or anything comes in contact with it he meows in pain. My sister took him to the vet today and they checked him for AIDS, heart worms, and leukemia and he was negative for all. However they did give him Albon syrup to treat it, but what they gave her expired on 11/30/2009! So I'm contacting the vet again tomorrow and was wondering if there was anything additional I need to do or ask or if anyone knows what is going on with this poor baby?
wilmod

Postby lir » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Means there is a furry sodomizing your kitten.

Sorry, there's nothing you can do. You could try putting a "YIFF IN HELL" doormat by your front door, though.
lir

Postby rhys33 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:08 pm

call the vet n ask y they gave u expitred medication???????
n maybe take him to a different vet--if your vet now gave u expried mediation--they probably dont know or give a f**k about ur cat
rhys33

Postby danforth88 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Causes
Rectal bleeding in cats can be caused by constipation. When a cat is constipated, it will often pass hard or overly bulky stools. These can damage and irritate the skin of the rectum and anus, resulting in bleeding. If your cat ingests poison, it could bleed from its bottom. Poisons designed to eliminate rats and mice are called anticoagulant poisons because after an animal ingests them, they block the normal clotting properties of the animal's blood, according to "Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook." Cancer of the gastrointestinal tract, called intestinal adenocarcinoma, will also cause intermittent rectal bleeding.

Symptoms
A constipated cat can develop proctitis, or inflammation of the rectum and anus. When this happens, the skin becomes visibly ulcerated and irritated. Your cat may lick at it, attempting to soothe the pain, which may be an early indicator of the problem. A cat that has ingested an anticoagulant poison will bruise easily, have nosebleeds and could also vomit blood. If your cat is bleeding from its bottom because of cancer, it will also vomit, lose weight and avoid eating.

Diagnosis
If your cat is experiencing rectal bleeding, then its stools will be coated in blood, rather than having the blood mixed in with the fecal matter. A constipated cat will pass hard stools and will often stop squatting during bowel movements. Your veterinarian can diagnose poisoning by examining your cat's gums and by looking at the poison it had access to. According to "Small Animal Clinical Oncology," your veterinarian can tell if your cat has intestinal adenocarcinoma by checking to see if it is hypoglycemic (has low blood sugar) and by using abdominal radiography to look for intestinal tumors.

Treatments
You can treat constipation by feeding your cat a high-fiber diet. Laxatives can help prevent hard stools. Soothing ointments are available to relieve the pain of proctitis while your cat heals. If your cat ingests poison, contact your veterinarian right away. She can give your cat a blood transfusion and administer vitamin K to counteract the poison's effects. Intestinal adenocarcinoma is treated with surgery to remove the cancerous mass first, followed by radiation therapy to target any material left behind.

Considerations
If your cat is straining in the litter box or if you hear it cry during a bowel movement, it is a good idea to bring your cat to the veterinarian to find out if it is experiencing an intestinal problem. Any poisons in your home should be properly sealed and stored in a way that prevents the possibility of accidental ingestion. Also, be aware that if poison kills a rat and your cat eats the dead rat, your cat could ingest the poison

Hope your kitten get's better:)
danforth88

Postby ryker84 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:12 pm

While your Kitten awaits for the vet visit, The best thing to do is to take her a warm bath, dry her very good, wrap her in a small towel and rapidly, try to apply her some tucks wipes and then with a cotton swap, slowly apply her some tucks with anusol cream towards the outside. Keep her wrap with you for a while until she falls asleep. She actually will feel much better. Trust me, I raise two male Felines and had to take care of then anytime they were sick or had any discomfort and specially if I had to wait for their Vets appointment. There is nothing wrong with doing that and at least it will help her. My Felines in times have that problem and I cure them like that and feel much better. After all, they are our Babies and all we want for then is to feel great! At one time, I had to do this to my Pigeon and the next day, he was in his best! Sometimes we do not have the money to pay for a Vet visit and we have to try our best to make them better. As long as you do not give him other medications that should not be digest and not prescribe by the Vet, he should be good.
ryker84

Return to Lymphoma