Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Kidney Transplant

Kidney Cancer Discussions

Kidney Transplant

Postby amyas » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:32 am

Hello, My questions are in regards to my husband. He has PKD and is awaiting a kidney transplant from a living donor. They will leave his native kidneys in. Will his new kidney supply the necessary erythropoietin or will his native kidneys continue to do this? His red blood cell count right now is good. Also, will his transplanted kidney convert the vitamin D as a normal native kidney does? His native kidneys are not doing this either well or not at all. Will his hyperparathyroidism return to normal? And lastly what happens to the adrenal gland that is on top of the transplanted kidney? Does it stay with the donor? Will my husbands adrenal glands continue to work even if his kidneys don't? Lastly, in your opinion, why do some transplanted kidneys last 30 years and others only 5 or so?I appreciate your time and expertise.  
amyas

Kidney Transplant

Postby Sikyatavo » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:52 pm

Hello, My questions are in regards to my husband. He has PKD and is awaiting a kidney transplant from a living donor. They will leave his native kidneys in. Will his new kidney supply the necessary erythropoietin or will his native kidneys continue to do this? His red blood cell count right now is good. Also, will his transplanted kidney convert the vitamin D as a normal native kidney does? His native kidneys are not doing this either well or not at all. Will his hyperparathyroidism return to normal? And lastly what happens to the adrenal gland that is on top of the transplanted kidney? Does it stay with the donor? Will my husbands adrenal glands continue to work even if his kidneys don't? Lastly, in your opinion, why do some transplanted kidneys last 30 years and others only 5 or so?I appreciate your time and expertise.  
Sikyatavo

Kidney Transplant

Postby Oswin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for asking my help on "Allexperts".

1. His new kidney will produce the necessary EPO. His native kidneys may continue to produce little amounts and then gradually stop producing it.

2. Yes, his new kidney will produce Vitamin D and yes, his hyperparathyroidism will return to normal over time.

3. The donor's adrenals are nor removed. Your husband's adrenals will continue to function normally.

4. Many factors affect the long term survival of a graft. Some of the important ones are degree of match, surgical technique, number of rejections, infections, etc.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shah
Oswin

Return to Kidney Cancer