Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Just started chewing tobacco and I have a question about cancer...?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby ellmer66 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Please don't tell me that chewing is bad. I know it is, but since I ran out of money for cigs, I need a different nicotine fill. (I'm saving money for e-cigs) I've been chewing for a little over a week now for the first time. How long does it take for the precancerous symptoms to appear? I know they are red/white spots in your mouth, but how long will it take for them to show up? I think I'll probably be doing a tin every two weeks or so due to my limited means of income.
ellmer66

Postby bavol9 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Just stop. Some people have to have their how jaw removed because of Tobacco. Cancer, Death, Now jaw? You're risking all of of this just for tobacco. Stop.
bavol9

Postby lamonte4 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:48 pm

There is no way to estimate when you'll have precancerous lesions in your mouth. Some people smoke for decades but never get lung cancer. Some people never smoke and get lung cancer. You may get cancer in a month, or may never get cancer at all.
Is it really worth the risk when you know that tobacco causes cancer? Take a look at Roger Ebert's face after he had cancer and then really decide if you like having a jaw and tongue.
lamonte4

Postby baeddan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:53 pm

I was able to use Beachnut for years to keep off the cigs. Chewing tobacco is about 90% less harmful than smoking. But people get all horrified by chewing tobacco.

The trick - according to my dentist - is to keep it moving. Don't chew the tobacco which just lays in one spot against your front teeth. That kicks crap out of your mouth. Chew something mild like Beachnut - and keep it moving. You can sort of chew it like gum to some degree.
baeddan

Postby clerc53 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Save your money and chew gum. girls hate guys who chew or dip because it is disgusting.
clerc53

Return to General Cancer Discussion