Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Is it too late to neuter our dog?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Postby lyulf68 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:38 pm

My dog is almost 9 months old and he has not been fixed.....at first my husband said he didn't want to do it, but now he has changed his mind....but is it too late? I know that it is pysically possible...but is it going to be harder on him since he is older now? My husband says it will help with agression...but I say that it won't make a difference now. I guess it could help with testicular cancer prevention....what do you think?
lyulf68

Postby yuuto » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Nope, it's not too late to neuter your dog. Most dogs are neutered between the ages of 5 - 8 months.

Shelters neuter them earlier if possible as a way to make them more adoptable (saves the new owner from having to do it and the shelter is positive that the animal has been neutered if they have it done first).

It can make a difference with aggression, it will calm him down. And it is good to get animals spayed and neutered because of the different types of cancers they can get.
yuuto

Postby maximilian13 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:56 pm

It's not to late to neuter him. It would help him.
maximilian13

Postby hannraoi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:00 pm

No, it isn't too late at all. You can have a healthy dog neutered at any age. It will help some with aggression also, your husband is right....this time. : ) They usually will not neuter a dog less than 6 months old, and yours is only 3 months more than that. I had my chihuahua neutered at over a year old, and he had no problem with the procedure or the recovery. It calmed him down as well.
hannraoi

Postby grigor94 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:03 pm

There are several health benefits to neutering. One of the most important concerns the prostate gland, which under the influence of testosterone will gradually enlarge over the course of the dog’s life. In age, it is likely to become uncomfortable, possibly being large enough to interfere w/defecation. The prostate under the influence of testosterone is also predisposed to infection which is almost impossible to clear up without neutering. Neutering causes the prostate to shrink into insignificance thus preventing both prostatitis as well as the uncomfortable benign hyperplasia (enlargement) that occurs with aging. It is often erroneously held that neutering prevents prostate cancer but this is not true.

Other health benefits of neutering include the prevention of certain types of hernias and tumors of the testicles and anus. Excessive preputial discharge is also reduced by neutering.

The only behavior changes that are observed after neutering relate to behaviors influenced by male hormones. Playfulness, friendliness, and socialization with humans are not changed. The behaviors that change are far less desirable. The interest in roaming is eliminated in 90% of neutered dogs. Aggressive behavior against other male dogs is eliminated in 60% of neutered dogs. Urine marking is eliminated in 50% of neutered male dogs. Inappropriate mounting is eliminated in 70% of neutered dogs
grigor94

Postby walton » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:17 pm

It's definitely not too late. I had my dog neutered when he was 2 years old. It's the responsible thing to do, and you'll have a better dog for it.
walton

Postby halton8 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:18 pm

He is not too old....do it. He will be a happier and healthier dog for it. Also, you will enjoy him a lot more!
halton8

Postby crombwiella83 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:20 pm

Now is the time to get him neutered. He is still young. Do it now before things get worse. Hope this helps! Good Luck!!!
:)
crombwiella83

Postby arlis100 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Male dogs can be neutered at any time. We neutered a dog at the age of 3 after he disappeared for 3 days & was found (he didn't come back) suffering from infected puncture wounds. We fixed him & he never strayed away again thank heavens.
arlis100

Postby alvy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:33 pm

doesn't make a difference. my dog was neutered when he was i think 3yrs. and my other dog was spade when she was like 6yrs!
alvy

Next

Return to Cancer Prevention