Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Is It Possible To Miss A Diagnosis Of Leukemia?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby Paton » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:59 pm

today i went to the doctor because for the last week i have had almost no appetite and i usually have a good appetite, over-tired ex. even if i get 10 hours of sleep i will be wiped out the next day by 10 a.m., i have HORRIBLE stomach pains, sometimes it feels like a sharp pain and sometimes i feel like i am going to throw up, sometimes i get really hot when other people are like cold and other ones. The doctor ruled out appendicitis and i took a blood test but they didn't find anything wrong. Could they have missed leukemia? or any other disease? if u know of any other things that match up with those symptoms please tell me!

thank you
Paton

Postby Davis » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:03 am

They would have seen an excess of white blood cells if you had leukemia and that would have been a HUGE red flag to them.
So, no I doubt that you have cancer, they would have easily noticed that.
Though, you could have a form of anemia.
Davis

Postby Narfi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:04 am

A rectal fissure will generally reason discomfort and burning and consequence in some blood on the rest room paper and now and returned on the exterior of the stool. in case you have certainly been passing blood into the rest room that's probbaly no longer from a fissure. The GI checklist will probably communicate all your indications with you, and would do yet another rectal examination. yet what you will desire is a colonoscopy, the place they supply you some sedation and bypass a protracted versatile fiberoptic tube up into your colon so as that the GI checklist can go searching and if mandatory do biopsies. Given your age and indications, the different challenge is which you're coming up Crohn's ailment or ulcerative colitis. the two of those could prefer to be dealt with to make specific you probably did no longer have severe problems. stable luck with this.
Narfi

Postby Ebenezar » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:05 am

not to scare you, but my son was diagnosed with leukemia with alot of the same symptons,but if you had a complete blood test,I'm sure they wouldn't have missed it. get a copy of your blood count. Maybe a little anemic?
Ebenezar

Postby Eairrdsidh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:12 am

The white blood cells in the complete blood count would be quite elevated along with abnormal hemoglobin and platelets, if this was leukemia.
Has the doctor checked your blood for your thyroid? Also, if you are under too much stress, your body can be reacting by these symptoms of yours. Hope you feels better soon!
Eairrdsidh

Postby Chananiah » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:19 am

it could be Mono
Chananiah

Postby Nels » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:34 am

Yes, it's always possible to miss the diagnosis of leukemia. BUT it will depend on whether or not the available labs done were able to detect it, as in the case of marked leukocytosis and presence of immature WBCs/blasts in the peripheral blood smear.

Your symptoms are very NON-SPECIFIC, it could be ANYTHING. But since your symptoms point to gastrointestinal tract, investigations were directed in the abdomen. Leukemia as a differential diagnosis will be at the bottom of the list.

What is important is whether you feel better now or the symptoms still persist. If you don't feel better, then more tests are warranted to find out what's really bugging you.
Nels

Return to Leukemia Forum