Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Is It Possible To Live With Pancreatic Cancer?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby Alarick » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:08 pm

My father died 2 years ago when i was 11 from Pancreatic Cancer. He lasted nine months, and i have heard that that is pretty good for this type of cancer. I remember as soon as my father was diagnosed, he went for the surgery at the John Hopkins Hospital to get the tumor removed, but it was too late. I was wondering, after hearing how long Patrick Swayze has been going, if you can get the surgery early on and beat the cancer.

I don't really know why i am asking, i just want to know if there was a posibility that m dad could have lived.

Thanks

XO
Alarick

Postby Devlin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:23 pm

regrettably, if your uncle's maximum cancers began interior the pancreas and unfold to the liver and lungs, the oncologist became way incorrect. Metastatic pancreatic maximum cancers (maximum cancers that has unfold) can't be cured and in generic would not reaspond nicely to chemotherapy. medical care might help improve the familiar of existence and make larger the existence span a sprint, even with the undeniable fact that it won't treatment it. Chemotherapy with gemcitabine is the familiar medical shelter degree 4 pancreatic maximum cancers. different drugs (Xeloda, Eloxatin, Tarceva) might help decrease the tumor and make larger the existence expectancy fairly, yet there remains ongoing debate approximately how useful those drugs are. the common existence expectancy for a affected person with pancreatic maximum cancers that has unfold to the liver is approximately 4-6 months. i'm sorry to hearken to approximately your uncle.
Devlin

Postby Are » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:24 pm

Of all cancers, Pancreatic Cancer is one of the most difficult to recover from.
Less than 5% of patients with Pancreatic cancer will live five years after diagnosis.

Unlike most other cancers, pancreatic cancer doesn't cause symptoms that you will notice early on.
If you don't feel bad, there's no way for the doctors to know that you have the cancer until the cancer has grown and progressed to a more advanced stage.

Because the cancer is hard to find early, it will frequently have metastasized (spread) into other tissues by the time it has grown big enough to cause you to go to the doctor and have the cancer be found.
Once this has happened there is very little that can be done because the cancer has spread throughout your body into all the organs.

Once found, some pancreatic cancer cases can be treated.
Treatment depends on if the cancer has spread, or if it is just localized to one part of the pancreas.
If it is in just one part, it might be able to be surgically removed to get rid of the cancer in what is a complicated rearrangement of the internal organs.
(Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple computers had this 4 years ago) Also, the pancreas is made up of multiple different types of cells...depending on which type the cancer cells formed from it may be easier or harder to treat.

Overall, pancreatic cancer just tends to be too far along before it is recognized to be treated.
When my grandma was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer there was nothing that they could do for it.
I'm not sure if she even lived nine weeks after that, so I'm glad your father got to be around a little longer.
I'm sorry for your loss and hope this helps!
Are

Postby claybourne » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:26 pm

Patrick Swayze supposedly has a not so advanced case.
It is one of the more deadly cancers, like liver cancer, and people do not live long (family member on my husband's side lasted about as long as your dad).
P. Swayze apparently told Barbara Walters recently that he didn't expect to live longer than 2 or 3 years at the most.
claybourne

Postby Stem » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:32 pm

My father died 2 years ago when i was 11 from Pancreatic Cancer. He lasted nine months, and i have heard that that is pretty good for this type of cancer. I remember as soon as my father was diagnosed, he went for the surgery at the John Hopkins Hospital to get the tumor removed, but it was too late. I was wondering, after hearing how long Patrick Swayze has been going, if you can get the surgery early on and beat the cancer.

I don't really know why i am asking, i just want to know if there was a posibility that m dad could have lived.

Thanks

XO
Stem

Postby Jenilynn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:37 pm

I realy don't have any answers. I was looking for the I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer sep.20.2014. the doctors said it had spead to 3 other places. one dayi was feeling fine,norm the next I was in icu for three day.I was told every thing from 3 to 5 weeks to 18 months my doc has me on an exper drug call youvoy you never know how things will turn out only god knows so please say a prair for me
Jenilynn

Postby Spence » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 pm

my husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in july. He had surgery seventeen days after that to remove the tumor( even with chemo and tarceva a chemo pill), It has mestastisized into his liver and the doc gave him under a year. He is still with me but I do not think he has long as his health is failing rapidly. It is a very fast and aggressive cancer
Spence

Return to Pancreatic Cancer