Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Is it possible to get melanoma on your butt?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby chayne » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm 18 years old, I've never gotten a particularly NASTY sunburn, but I've gotten red a few times before. None that I can remember were painful though. I don't have a family history of any types of skin cancer. I have this one mole on my back, that I've been nervous about for a really long time so this whole melanoma fear has been going on since I was born. But I saw a mole in the shower today and it was on my butt. (don't laugh I'm being serious.) It's really small, there's not any noticable color or assymetry differences but I've never seen this before. Is it possible that it could be melanoma?
chayne

Postby airleas » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:57 pm

You can have it anywhere you have skin. I knew someone who had it under a toe nail - but most people who have it, are old.

ANY form of cancer in a teenager is exceptionally rare.

I dunno why it is, but teens are super-freaked out about cancer, and older adults tend to forget to look for it. Nature has our anxieties all screwed around.

Wear sun protection - your mirror will thank you for it in a few decades.
airleas

Postby honorato » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:04 pm

Like "Tink" I have seen melanoma under a toe nail.
I have also seen one melanoma of the buttocks region where the sun rarely shines.
But we can't tell you what you have - can't diagnose from here.
You will need to be examined by a primary care doc or a dermatologist.
The first rule of cancers is that cancers follow no rules.
They do not fight fair. Good luck to you. It is probably nothing.
I'm amazed you can see your backside in the shower.
You must be very flexible to do that without a mirror.
honorato

Postby masselin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:05 pm

You can get melanoma on any part of your skin. But in this case it doesn't look serious, it's just a new mole, I get plenty of those little ones during summer
masselin

Postby harman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:07 pm

Moles*-identification marks-are birth marks given by the God to most of the human beings. Unless and until U note any change in the size, color and asymmetric shape; nothing to be panicky. I'm 63+ “young” with all the organs intact and functioning up to optimum levels. I have more than 100 moles on my body, covering every organ, since birth. Prudent to take it easy and forget. As per Indian sentiment, a person with moles on gonads is blessed with lot of libido; which is totally satiated for life.

When the sun shines on bare skin, your body makes its own vitamin D. This is the major source of vitamin D, but it's not enough for many people. Fair-skinned people might get enough in 5-10 minutes on a sunny day, a few times a week. But cloudy days, the low light of winter, and the use of sun block (important to avoid skin cancer) all interfere. Older people and those with darker skin tones don’t make as much from sun exposure. Experts say it's better to rely on food and supplements. Tanning drives U towards melanoma, skin cancers, etc..

How to prevent Sunburn* & scope for consequential skin cancer, Melanoma, etc: Expose Ur body and or the affected parts within 90 minutes from sunrise & within 60 minutes before sunset. During strong winds, no exposure to sunlight, please. Any extra exposure shall be @ Ur own risk for skin cancer/melanoma..

OR

Much before, it is too late, prudent* to see a general surgeon/local homeopath/dermatologist for physical examination, relevant investigations, accurate diagnosis and permanent cure by medication and or surgical interference. Much before the advent of super-specialties like nuero/pediatric/cardiac/renal/gynec/brai… gastro-enterology, and ENT etc., all these surgeries were conducted by general surgeons. Hence, a Surgeon’s approach is most appropriate and accurate. A good surgeon suggests cheapest and accurate diagnostic investigations only to ensure permanent cure.

PS. If satisfied/benefited with, inform others to browse ‘Yahoo Answers’ on any health issue.

Source: ‘HEALTH IN UR HANDS’ Vol. I & II--- by Dr.Devendra Vora, D.Sc.,M.D.,F.R.C.P.,---an octogenarian & the pioneer in Acupressure in India. Available all over the globe in all Indian languages. Dr.Vora, cured and caused to cure more than 150000 cases of Cancer, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, irregular menses and also many other most dreaded diseases.
harman

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer