Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Is it okay to stop chemotherapy early?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby guin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:47 pm

someone close to me is currently going through chemotherapy, it is making them incredibly sick and taking virtualy all their energy, so they are considering stopping their treatment earlier than recently advised.. has anyone ever stopped treatment or does anyone know if it is okay to do this? please help :) THANKS!
guin

Postby gwynfor » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:48 pm

It may make them sick, but cancer will make them sicker. Unless a doctor takes you off, you shouldn't stop.

Depending on the type of cancer, they may have some success with DCA, my university discovered a potential cure and they're testing it right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloroacetic_acid
gwynfor

Postby lamonte4 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:01 pm

If this person is getting sick, they need better anti nausea meds. The length of time chemo is given is the result of years of research to determine what meds are best and what length of time it should be taken and what dosage is more beneficial. So, it's not ok with this person consulting with the dr.

The first 2 answers are from morons who have no experience with cancer, but seem to enjoy the internet conspiracy theories floating around...
lamonte4

Postby algrenon71 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:06 pm

As April says the amount of chemo your friend is getting is only determined after years of research so they should be guided by the person who knows best, the oncologist.

Having said that however, it is totally up to the patient as to what they let happen to them. If they are willing to take the risk of the cancer not being killed off or returning then rather than put up with some shitty discomfort then yes they can stop taking it. From my experience and others that I know chemo is uncomfortable, makes you feel like crap and sometimes you just don't feel like waking up but never at any time did any of us think it was bad enough to give up and run the risk of it not working. If your friend is seriously considering giving it up they should be talking to their oncologist and finding out how they make the side effects not quite so bad. No one should be that nauseous that they give up, there are some excellent meds out there to combat that and if they are not working for your friend then another type needs to be found for them.

If you friend is just sick of feeling tired and crappy then they need to harden up a bit and keep the end of treatment in sight. It's not forever and it will hopefully help them make a full recovery. Their choice.

My friend had to give up a bit early as it was affecting his hearing and he is a musician. Between him and the oncologist they weighed up the pros and cons and decided it was best he stopped. There are always circumstances that can change things but not without a great deal of thought and consultation with someone who knows.
algrenon71

Postby attewater » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:18 pm

it's important to know what kind of cancer they have and what stage they are in.chemo may put some cancers in remission but chemo can also make your life hell or kill you.an example would be stage 3b lung cancer.there is less than a 10% chance of survival[technically being alive in 5 years,whether your much better or at deaths door].if chemo can not cure and is ruining your quality of life then palliative care may be the way to go.if the cancer is of a variety that chemo routinely cures then stick with it and hope for the best!!!!!!!~~~~!!~~!!!!!!~.additional info.i am not a moron and don't subscribe to the "conspiracy theory",although i can't deny it either.my husband went through the "Treatment" for lung cancer in august and september and was dead by december.i studied all of the cancer society and gov. med sights to learn as much as i could to help him.after he died i searched "chemo kills people" that's where i got some real answers.chemo can work against a few cancers,it can also shrink tumors.dying from chemo and radiation toxicity is a very real problem!!!!!!!~perhaps the conspiracy theory is to take the chemo and radiation,do what your doctor says,and you'll be all better!
attewater

Postby farand » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:22 pm

There are many factors to take into consideration and unless you are the medical guardian of the patient it is really none of your business.

There are risks associated with treatments and there are benefits.

The only person who can judge if the benefits outweigh the risks is the person undergoing the treatment.

It angers me that other family members, no matter how close, can pressure people into undergoing treatment against their will, simply because treatment has left them too weak to stand their ground.
farand

Return to Lymphoma