Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Is it better to spay/neuter young (under 1 year) or older?

Ovarian Cancer Discussion Forum

Postby athemar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:12 pm

I think it is better to spay/neuter as soon as possible. It helps if you do it before your dog first heat, or as soon as your dog is old enough. She should not have any problems.
athemar

Postby jonni » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Some studies have shown that early or pediatric spay/neuters MAY promote closing of the growth plates at a later point than if the dog were neutered at maturity. This may make a dog that is altered at an early age more prone to joint problems later on.

This risk has to be weighed against the risk of pyometra, mammary tumors, unplanned matings & all the other risks of having an intact dog. And for shelters to take on placing dogs in the best home possible with absolutely no chance of indiscriminate breeding--it really is the best thing to spay/neuter before placing the dog.
jonni

Postby alai » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Depends on the situation.

For larger breeds who will be WORKING, generally waiting until they're 18-24 months is preferred, so they can have a chance to develop maximum bone density for the impact that their WORKING lives will subject them to.

For a PET dog, it's not as critical. Dogs that are spayed/neutered early may be a little taller and/or leggier than their intact counterparts, but because they're not putting the stress on their bones that a working dog does, it's not as big a deal.
alai

Postby walworth » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:31 pm

you are absolutely supposed to spay AFTER 6 months or right after the female has gone into heat first, whichever comes first, this can cause damage to the puppy. I would stress this to your vet, they definitely should have waited. I would just make sure to call your vet and ask their opinion
walworth

Postby avinoam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 pm

I Blieve your dog will be fine. Most people say 6mos to spay. I have a friend who has a dog that was spayed at 11 weeks & it is just fine. He told me that early spaying was the "new thing".
avinoam

Postby hahnee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:36 pm

I am not an expert this is just something that I have noticed, I am not saying that it is true. I am also not saying that its better to do it at an older age or younger age.
Later spaying/neutering seems to result in a dog that doesn't gain weight as easy as dogs that are fixed at an earlier age. and that is the typical reason why people want to wait till the dog is older
I think that it should be done between 3 and 6 months. Because she was at a shelter they want to get her done as soon as possible so they can get her out of there and into a home.
hahnee

Postby aeneas87 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi,

Females get the spay surgery, which removes the ovaries and uterus, and will keep your dog from getting pregnant while a neuter surgery removes a male dog's testicles and will keep your dog from impregnating another dog.

Here's more info about the matter:
http://dogtime.com/spay-neuter.html

Hope this helps.
aeneas87

Postby yeeshai46 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Well i would think it would be better to spay/Nueter them when there atleast 2. I mean the puppy's not even full grown yet. It wouldn't cause any problems though.
yeeshai46

Postby sorley » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:46 pm

My vet has told me that a dog should not be spayed or neutered until they are at least 6 moths old.
sorley

Postby all » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:52 pm

hello usually you wait till they have their first season then spay them 11 weeks seems a little young to be spayed im not sure if they need to be spayed later to mature emotionally and physiologically do some reaserch ask vets and breeders
all

PreviousNext

Return to Ovarian Cancer