Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Is death by leukemia painful?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby diondre21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:28 pm

My boyfriend has leukemia and he has been told that he has less than a year. I want to know if it will be painful for him? And is there anything I can do to help him?
diondre21

Postby delsy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Its generally not painful. It sort of slowly drains the life of the patient until the patient gets an infection that the body can't fend off or a vital organ fails. Severe fatigue is the most common problem up until the patient gets sick or an organ fails. You can provide moral support, but there's nothing you can do to improve the outcome.
delsy

Postby falken » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:38 pm

It wasn't painful for my mom. She developed a lung infection that she was too weak to fight off. She was put on morphine to ease her breathing anxiety about a week before she died. Morphine affects your ability to focus your eyes and organize your thoughts, so she wasn't able to talk much, but she was smiling and responsive to us (able to hear us and understand us) until about 24 hours before she died. The problem with leukemia is that your body eventually becomes too weak to fight off any infections, so any kind of viral or bacterial or fungal infection becomes potentially life-threatening.
falken

Postby tremaine20 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Bitter stuff such as bitter kola, cerrassi is the best in fighting infections in the body. it is antiviral and antibacterial.
tremaine20

Return to Leukemia Forum