Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Im petrified of getting cancer!?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby atley » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 am

I found out I had Hpv a year or two ago and that was the reason of my abnormal pap smears. I was scared out of my mind. Then it got worse to the point I had to get a biopsy. Does a biopsy take away all the abnormal cells? But anyways, every time I think of Hpv I think of cancer. My doctor told me not to worry and I'll be okay but I don't know what she mean by that. I'm absolutely scared of getting cancer...every time I hear about someone getting cancer, I get terrified. My aunt died of ovarian cancer and my grandmother had cancer in her chest. It got to the point where I don't want to go get another checkup because I am afraid it'll get worst. Please help me!!!
atley

Postby honani » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:40 am

I found out I had Hpv a year or two ago and that was the reason of my abnormal pap smears. I was scared out of my mind. Then it got worse to the point I had to get a biopsy. Does a biopsy take away all the abnormal cells? But anyways, every time I think of Hpv I think of cancer. My doctor told me not to worry and I'll be okay but I don't know what she mean by that. I'm absolutely scared of getting cancer...every time I hear about someone getting cancer, I get terrified. My aunt died of ovarian cancer and my grandmother had cancer in her chest. It got to the point where I don't want to go get another checkup because I am afraid it'll get worst. Please help me!!!
Cancer is a scary thing, but avoiding the doctor isn't going to avoid any potential cancer from growing. Try to see your doctor appointments for screening paps as an opportunity to provide some relief so that you can be told the good news of NOT having cancer. If you got a biopsy and didn't need any further treatment, that is quite reassuring.
Historically, cervical cancer was once the leading cause of death among women, but since the onset of pap-smears and regular screening, it RARELY every gets to the point where it is incurable.
It must be very difficult to not stress about it. I hope this provides some reassurance.
honani

Postby chadburne » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:42 am

A very small percentage of women with HPV go on to develop cervical cancer.

Regular Pap smears will ensure that if you do it will be discovered in time to treat it.
chadburne

Postby anwar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:55 am

a biopsy is to test for something to work out what it is. u should be glad u dont have cancer instead of thinking about it 24/7
anwar

Return to Cervical Cancer