Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Im bleeding in my vagina and im not on my period what does that mean?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby conor » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:47 pm

it don't smell like fish and it is light pinkest red not dark red like im on my period
conor

Postby lamonte4 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:51 pm

This is called spotting, there are lots of reasons, such as...

Pregnancy
Spotting often occurs in the first few months of a normal pregnancy. It can also be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy a rare but serious problem where the embryo does not implant int he uterine cavity, but elsewhere.

Miscarriage
Spotting could be a sign that you are going to miscarry because your body is preparing itself for your next period

Ovulation
Ovulation is usually imperceptible but some women get menstrual cramp like pains for a short period of time, or they spot.

Birth Control
Birth Control implants, injections, Intra-Uterine Devices (IUDs) etcetera can cause spotting, which is intact one of the most common side effects.

Hormonal Imbalance
You could be spotting because your body is producing too much oestrogen, or too much or too little progesterone, or a certain drug could cause spotting.

Underlying Conditions
An underlying condition could also cause spotting, such as ovarian or cervical cancer, cysts, infection etcetera. If you suspect one of the above, talk to your doctor or sexual health clinic.

If you experience heavy bleeding between periods, visit your doctor or sexual health clinic.
lamonte4

Postby acair » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:53 pm

You're spotting. It may turn brown as well.

There are MANY reasons for spotting.

Ovulation
Ovulation is unnoticeable for most women. Some women, however, notice light spotting for a day or two after ovulation. This type of spotting before the period is generally a normal byproduct of ovulation for these women.

Birth Control
Spotting is one of the most common side effects of most hormonal birth control options, including birth control pills, hormonal IUDS and the birth control shot, patch and implant. This side effect often subsides after a few months. Women sometimes also experience spotting after they stop using a particular hormonal birth control method.

Pregnancy
Many women experience spotting in the first few months of a normal pregnancy, so spotting before an expected period may be a sign that you are pregnant. Spotting can also, however, be a symptom of an ectopic pregnancy, a condition that can be life-threatening if not treated early.

Miscarriage
Spotting before an expected period is sometimes the sign of an impending miscarriage. Since you may not suspect that you are pregnant until you miss your period, it is possible to experience miscarriage-related spotting without even realizing that you've become pregnant.

Hormonal Imbalance
Spotting can also be the result of hormonal imbalances other than those caused by pregnancy or birth control. For instance, your body may be producing too much estrogen or not enough progesterone, possibly due to a thyroid problem or from taking certain medications.

Serious Conditions
Spotting before your period is sometimes a sign of an underlying condition such as uterine fibroids or polyps, ovarian cysts or cervical or uterine cancer. While rare, these conditions can be serious and may require treatment.

When to See Your Doctor
You should consult your doctor if you experience any spotting between your periods. While your spotting may be perfectly normal, it's important to rule out pregnancy or any underlying conditions. If you experience very heavy bleeding between periods, contact your doctor immediately.
acair

Postby mannix » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:02 pm

EEEWWWWW! This is not normal, you should definatley go to a hospital...are you sure that you are bleeding. It might be red urine. That would be a little better
mannix

Postby waren » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:14 pm

It is from birth control pills.
waren

Return to Cervical Cancer