Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

If you had advanced stage cancer, could you still have normal bloodwork?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby burdon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Usually in the early stages blood work remains in the normal range, depending on the type of cancer you might have. With certain cancers though you would get abnormal ranges because the cancer interferes with normal functioning. Like in liver or pancreatic cancer, those liver panels would be high. With lung cancer the red blood count might be low due to lower oxygen in the body from lung involvement. In all cancers the white count might be high if infection was present and the immune system is impaired .Of course if a patient is on chemotherapy the ranges would be off because of the drugs involved, which is why oncologists always monitor blood work & discontinue chemo when levels become dangerous.In the final stages electrolytes are usually really off because the patient stops eating & the body starts to shut down. With some cancers though it might not show that anything is wrong until it is in the terminal phase. People & cancers though are all different & it also makes a big difference on the age of the patient.
burdon

Postby jameson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:08 pm

I think it's possible, depending on the cancer. However, at an advanced stage you are going to be experiencing abnormal symptoms in your body and those symptoms are warning signs something is very wrong. At that point a wider spectrum bloodwork would probably be done if you are trying to figure out what's wrong and something would probably show up abnormal.

I had colon cancer, it did not reach the advanced stage (4) but at stage 2 my bloodwork finally began to indicate anemia, however, I had been very tired for several months already and suspected low iron. My body told me something was wrong long before the labwork did.
jameson

Postby einwys34 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:16 pm

my hub had perfect blood work for 2 years, was getting blood wrok every 6 months. recentlMDSund out he has advanced renal/kidney cancerand. apparently it has been there for a while (at least 1 1/2 years) just started meds now, the docs now checks for high levels on liver. what kind of advanced stage cancer are you referring too.
einwys34

Postby godewyn23 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:17 pm

What kind of cancer are you referring to?
And what kind of blood work are you referring to?
There are hundreds of both and impossible to answer you without more information.
Most cancers do not show up in the blood at all.
godewyn23

Postby wiellaford » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Not likely but possible
wiellaford

Return to Pancreatic Cancer