Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

If Mesothelioma Is Present, What Is The Color Of Pleural Effusion?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Postby Healy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:38 am

My brother had difficulty breathing, pain upon taking deep breath, fatigue, weight loss, loss of appetite. Thickening and fluid was found on his right pleura. He discribed the fluid as looking like Budweiser----amber colored and foamy. He also has pleural thickening, all on the right side.I have read the color of the fluid is characteristic of transudate which may indicate congestive heart failure.

The doctor suspects mesothelioma, but the fluid does not appear cloudy( exudate).
Healy

Postby Roselin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:41 am

this site gives the best infoo abt mesothelioma

http://enycekiller.110mb.com/new/highpay/Mesothelioma.html
Roselin

Postby dryw85 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:42 am

My brother had difficulty breathing, pain upon taking deep breath, fatigue, weight loss, loss of appetite. Thickening and fluid was found on his right pleura. He discribed the fluid as looking like Budweiser----amber colored and foamy. He also has pleural thickening, all on the right side.I have read the color of the fluid is characteristic of transudate which may indicate congestive heart failure.

The doctor suspects mesothelioma, but the fluid does not appear cloudy( exudate).
dryw85

Postby Brooksone » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:43 am

With a lung infection, the pleura do not dry out. On the contrary, pleural effusion may occur and fluid will accumulate in the pleural cavity, leading to difficulty in breathing and specific noises like "hairs friction together".
Brooksone

Postby Alrik » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:45 am

The sputum could be yellow or blood-tinged.
Alrik

Postby Iddig » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:50 am

I have just written an article concerning pleural effusion. I have added an excerpt from my website. This may help to clarify a few concerns for you. Kind regards ,

Ann.

Diagnosis of mesothelioma

Diagnosis is carried out by ?pleural aspiration?. A needle attached to a 20ml syringe is inserted through an intercostal where an area of dullness is present. The drawn off fluid sample is then for protein estimation, cytology and bacteriological examination. If large amounts of fluid are present in the pleural space ? this can be aspirated to relieve severe symptoms of breathlessness.

Fluid Results

The fluid results will be either:

Transudate

Exudate

Transudate effusions ? can be bilateral, (on both sides), but are usually larger on the right side. Causes of transudate effusions include:

Heart failure

Hypoproteinaemia (nephotric syndrome)

Constrictive pericarditis

Hypothyroidism

Ovarian tumours

Exudate effusions ? causes include:

Sarcoidosis

Yellow-nail syndrome

Familial Mediterranean fever

Bacterial pneumonia

Carcinoma of the bronchus

Tuberculosis

Connective-tissue disease

Post-myocardial infarction syndrome

Acute pancreatic

Mesothelioma

Treatment If a diagnosis has not been determined by a simple aspiration sample then a biopsy will be carried out. Management of malignant pleural effusions require regular aspirations as fluid tends to reaccumulate.

A major part of treatment for pleural effusion is primarily concentrated on the underlying cause of the effusion. For instance ? antibiotics for pneumonia, chemotherapy or radiotherapy for malignant tumours, and drugs for hypothyroidism etc. Therefore, treatment can vary greatly, depending on the cause of the effusion.
Iddig

Return to Mesothelioma Forum