Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I was just diagnosed with cancer, am I eligible for Medicaid?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby towley » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:47 am

After having my right testicle removed due to a suspicious mass, it was found out to be cancer. They said it was beginning to spread put of the testicle so I will probably need chemotherapy. I work part time and I am not eligible for health insurance through my employer. I was hoping that with this new diagnosis I might be eligible for Medicaid. If so, would it be temporary?
towley

Postby garwig95 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:52 am

After having my right testicle removed due to a suspicious mass, it was found out to be cancer. They said it was beginning to spread put of the testicle so I will probably need chemotherapy. I work part time and I am not eligible for health insurance through my employer. I was hoping that with this new diagnosis I might be eligible for Medicaid. If so, would it be temporary?
Your going to be half the man you use to be Rip
garwig95

Postby shea51 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:05 am

If you are working, there is a good chance that you will not qualify for Medicaid. You need to call the Department of Children and Families in your area. They are the state level agency that can tell you whether or not you qualify. If you have assets like a late model car, that could also stand in your way. There are programs for people who are deemed "medically needy" and programs called "share of cost." Again, you would need to talk with a case worker.

In addition, you can go to www.pparx.org to see if you qualify for assistance paying for medications. The link below will take you to resources to help cancer patients pay for treatment.
shea51

Postby serafim » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:10 am

Ask your doctor's office what kind of assistance programs they know about to help you through this. You certainly aren't the only one in this position.
serafim

Postby ethelred » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:21 am

Check with your hospital's oncology social worker, they have a wealth of information on assistance and medicaid. I wish you the best.
ethelred

Return to Lymphoma