Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I was fired from my job for time and attendance. The company does have a policy in effect.?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

I was fired from my job for time and attendance. The company does have a policy in effect.?

Postby jager15 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:26 pm

The time and attendance was never an issue before with my boss. I became sick in Feb 2010 and had to go to a new doctor because my doctor retired. I am a single mom with a 3 year old also. Since I was seeing a new doctor and the problems I was having she made me do several tests to find out what was going on. I had plenty of sick and vacation time to take and gave my boss ample notice when I needed the time off. I have a thyroid problem that was never serious in the past. The company forced me to file a FMLA intermittent claim. My doctor refused to sign because it would be a liability to her practice and she would have to do it for every other patient even for a simple illness. Plus she felt it was not warranted at the time because everything was still new and no serious conditions were detected at the time. The company did not like that and I started to be harassed and treated unfairly on a daily basis. I was written up for ridiculous reasons constantly. He was trying to find a way to get rid of me. Since he had no other reason to legally get rid of me, he went back to times I was late because of illness or baby sitter issues and used them against me. The day I got fired I was almost at work and realized I have forgot my time card. I tried contacting my boss and few other managers in the office to see what I should do. I decided to turn around and go home to get it because I did not want to be written up again. I left him a message well before my actual start time and explained that I would be a little late. I was terminated that day. I filed for unemployment and the claim has been accepted. My boss has a grudge against me and has appealed the decision. I have been looking faithfully everyday for a new job to support my child and I am having no luck. Prior to t\me being fired I found out that I may have a serious condition with my thyroid and was scheduled to get a biopsy to make sure I don't have cancer. On top of that I am pregnant. I know this is long and I apologize, but wanted to get every ones input to see if I would win their appeal or if it will be reversed. Please help!
jager15

Postby taveon » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:31 pm

as you are finding out not all FMLA is approved and Dr.s notes are meaningless, if you are in the US
you can not be fired for being pregnant you can however be fired for any infraction any other employee would be fired for, attendance is the number 1 reason in the US for terminations.
taveon

Postby chadburne » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:36 pm

They can't fire you since you're pregnant ... I would get a lawyer and do whatever is necessary to solve the situation ..
chadburne

Postby eanraig » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time of it. But your potential diagnosis and pregnancy are irrelevant to the situation at hand. The appeal will concentrate on your termination only, and whether or not the company had cause to let you go for repeated violations of the Company policy. See if you can get a note or testimony from the doctor stating why she would not put you on FMLA - FML:A would have protected your job. The reason that 'if she gave it to you, she would have to give it to everyone" doesn't hold water - That's like saying if she prescribes a medication to one patient, she'll have to give the same to everyone. Every patient is a singular case, and doctor's are obligated first to care for their patients, not their paperwork. If this is true, you may have a case against the doctor for her refusal to allow you a benefit to which you were entitled, and which may have saved your job. Consult a lawyer for the appeal, you'll likely need one to win (especially if you need the doctor's input) and to pursue a case against her if next steps are needed.

Note: you CAN get fired if you are pregnant, you just can't be fired only for being pregnant without other cause.
eanraig

Postby jeannette71 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:44 pm

If you aren't eligible for FMLA, then they can legally terminate you. And if your doc won't sign FMLA paperwork, that's between you and your doc, not the employer - just what do you expect them to do amount it? Sorry you got fired, but they're within your legal rights. And they can contest unemployment since you got fired for attendance and tardiness. And it doesn't sound like they had to go back years to find attendance issues - you say yourself it includes recent issues.
jeannette71

Re: I was fired from my job for time and attendance. The com

Postby terredean111 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:21 am

I think you should consult with lawyer that will helps you and suggest to what to do .

http://www.labortimetracker.com/
terredean111

Return to Thyroid Cancer