Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I want some answers about having a sunken chest (pectus excavatum) (Long read)?

Discuss Breast Cancer, one of the most common forms of cancer in the world today.

Postby aghamore61 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:02 pm

These questions span a few categories:
I am a 19 year old girl with pectus excavatum.
The bottom of my rib cage is higher on the left side than the right side and it's only mildly sunken, like about an inch or less. But I'm very self conscious because of the way my chest is formed.
When I wear clothes, it looks like I have some cancer there because of the way that part of my chest protrudes. It's embarrassing to wear low cut tops and dresses because of the way it has affected my breasts. My right breast is fine, but my left breast comes out of my bra constantly and causes any bra I wear to distort. It's floppier and seems less full. I can't wear a bra without an under-wire because my breasts are a size D. However, when I wear my size, it looks like it's too big for me because my breasts cannot fill up the top due to them being floppy. A C cup is too small, it causes both my breasts pain and to fall out.
I'm sorry this is so long, but is there a way to make my breasts look more normal and perky?
Has anybody had any surgery to fix it, and can you tell me the results?
Is it worth having surgery (All it causes is embarrassment, it's not bad enough to cause breathing problems)?
What kind of bra is best for this?
What kind of clothes will make my chest look normal?
aghamore61

Postby fremont » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Did you try no bra? I don't joke!
fremont

Postby aethelisdun » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Have you tried a bigger band size in the C cup? A bigger band size does increase the cup size somewhat, don't know exactly how much though. To even out you could try one of those silicone enhancers on the side that doesn't fill out the D cup also. Or if you have the money go to a custom bra shop and they will make you a bra that serves all your needs.
aethelisdun

Postby grangere25 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Surgery for pectus excavatum is available as in http://au.search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22pectus+excavatum+surgery%22&fr=ush-ans but you are probably better off just living with it.

As you don't seem to be having any breathing problems from it your chest deformity is probably only a mild case of pectus excavatum.
grangere25

Return to Breast Cancer