Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I've Been Exposed To Blue Asbestos Once. What Are The Chances Of Developing Lung Problems Later In Life?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

I've Been Exposed To Blue Asbestos Once. What Are The Chances Of Developing Lung Problems Later In Life?

Postby Leonides » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:02 am

I was working for a friend (who is a builder) about 2 years ago when I needed to demolish a wall.

I broke a part down the wall with a sledgehammer which took about 5 minutes.

After I had done this, my friend came in and said "that's asbestos", pointing at a thin blue plank of material that had sat under the window. It was about 4-5 inches wide, under an inch thick and about 3 feet long.

It had snapped once down the middle, so I know there must've been fibres in the air - and we weren't wearing any safety masks which I know we should've.

It was immediately removed from the building, and disposed of by an asbestos removal contractor.

I know blue asbestos is one of the most dangerous types, so I am really worried about the possible effects it could have on my health :S

I know a single exposure (especially with blue asbestos) can cause lung disease - but does anybody know what the chances are of one single exposure, like this one, ending up causing me to develop such diseases?

I'm really worried and would just like to know more about this??

Thanks!
Leonides

Postby guin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:13 am

Your risk will be very, very low, but not zero.
Science does not know the impact of single exposures like that.
Your daily exposures to natural asbestos will wind up being more than this in total.
It is curious, the material you describe.
In 20 years I have not heard of anything described that way.
If it was cementious, I might believe it.
If you did not have it tested, it may not have been asbestos at all.
guin

Postby Barthelemy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:18 am

unfortunately its not possible to tell but the symptoms may not show for up to 50 years. my dad who died 10 years ago from mesolthilioma was exposed to asbestos in the 1950s and it took 40 years for him to get symptoms.
i think u should talk to your GP about the risks and see if theres any tests that can be done.
Barthelemy

Return to Mesothelioma Forum