Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I need to know when I should put my cat down.?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby amyas » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:05 pm

She is 12 years old and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer not quite a year ago. For most of the day she lays in one spot and will only get up to eat or go to the bathroom. She's not quite hitting the litter box, but it seems as though she can't get into it. She is taking Cerenia (anti-nausea medication), Prednisolone (steroid), and morphine. She still has a good appetite but it could be because of the steroid she's taking. When she does happen to get up from her spot to walk around, she only takes a few steps before she's lying down again. I should also mention that she doesn't appear to have lost any weight, not any significant weight that is. It makes me so sad to see her have trouble getting around and I just don't know what to do. Is it time to put her down, or am I being selfish and fooling myself when I think she's probably okay and I just couldn't bear to have her gone from my life. Please help.
amyas

Postby brant » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:06 pm

She is 12 years old and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer not quite a year ago. For most of the day she lays in one spot and will only get up to eat or go to the bathroom. She's not quite hitting the litter box, but it seems as though she can't get into it. She is taking Cerenia (anti-nausea medication), Prednisolone (steroid), and morphine. She still has a good appetite but it could be because of the steroid she's taking. When she does happen to get up from her spot to walk around, she only takes a few steps before she's lying down again. I should also mention that she doesn't appear to have lost any weight, not any significant weight that is. It makes me so sad to see her have trouble getting around and I just don't know what to do. Is it time to put her down, or am I being selfish and fooling myself when I think she's probably okay and I just couldn't bear to have her gone from my life. Please help.
First off, I'm very sorry to hear that your cat's ill. I don't know enough about pancreatic cancer to be able to tell you how long your cat can survive & whether or not it's in pain. It sounds like you've been taking her to the vet & doing the best you can to treat her condition. I'm sure your vet will let you know when the time has come to put her to sleep.

It's good that she's eating & hasn't lost a lot of weight. I wouldn't expect her to be too active if you're giving her morphine pain meds. You may want to ask your vet if you can cut back on the morphine & see what she says.

We had to put our 18-year old cat down when her liver failed. It was obvious to all that she wasn't going to survive & was in pain. The vet gave her a sedative first & then another shot to put her to sleep. I held her in my arms the whole time & tried to comfort her. It was difficult, but the right thing to do.
brant

Postby jerel16 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:09 pm

You need to talk about this with the vet. You can't make this decision alone and no one on the internet is qualified to tell you what to do.

You work with your vet to determine whether or not your cat is suffering and how her quality of life is.
jerel16

Postby treowbrycg » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:16 pm

it is really hard,but i think its time,im sorry i have been through it before,remember the good times and ur local shelter has kittens that need u
treowbrycg

Postby cruim37 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:20 pm

think about it this way... she will not be in as much pain and misery. so please put her to sleep
cruim37

Postby hakim » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:27 pm

In my own personal opinion, after living with cats and dogs for all 18 years of my life, and dealing with many sick pets along the way... I'm going to say that if the animal is still eating, you need to let it have its fighting chance. There comes a time when the animal "gives up", just like a person would under certain circumstances, and stops eating and having the will to live. It sounds to me like your animal still has the will. She still tries to walk and she eats. I don't think we are able to judge if an animal would rather be "out of its misery" or living its life in pain but still living. We don't euthanize cancerous humans, do we? No, because most humans have the will to live and when they give up, they die on their own regardless of their treatment. People might think I'm crazy, but I think if your pet was a dear loved one her entire life and she is close to you, then she'd rather die at home than at the vets office. Animals will go through hell to survive, because they just do not want to die. Don't kill your pets unless you see the will is gone and they stop eating. Animals caught in traps will chew their own legs off for a reason; they want that chance. Don't take your pets chance away.
hakim

Return to Pancreatic Cancer