Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I need advise on how a life insurance beneficiary can be changed when the owner was unable too.????????????

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

I need advise on how a life insurance beneficiary can be changed when the owner was unable too.????????????

Postby drewe » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:23 pm

ok my story starts when my mom had stroke in dec and was put in rehabilitation center "old folk's home" for physical therapy and some days she knew time,place,date,etc and some days she was only alert to person only and knew nothing, and in feb she was put into hospital with jaundice and doctors discovered she had pancreatic cancer and a bio tube was stopped up from her liver,so they couldn't do surgery due to her bad health problems and her age,so doctors sent my mother back home to my house to live the few months they gave her.So she came home in ambulance,and a hospice nurse came to get her set up in hospital bed and the hospice care.So around this time on her way home in a ambulance or while laying in the bed in pain she was requesting a beneficiary change to her life insurance,and the following day signing it while she still was unable to even get out of bed or even know time,place,date,etc and on her 3rd day home or her last day of life faxing in her beneficiary change that had 4 new people on the new change, so i wrote a letter to the life insurance company and they put the account on hold and so far i got all of her medical records,and a doctor letter stating her health problems and got a letter from hospice stating my mother's condition while they did their visits in the home, and every time i call to talk to the life insurance company they say the account is in the legal dept and im not beneficiary and they can't tell me no more info because i was not on the last change made to the account, so i need help or info on this or what steps i need to take next or ? thanks
drewe

Postby riagan37 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Outside of legal action, there is no way to change the beneficiary from the last form the company received. If you want to contest the change because you suspect she was not lucid when she signed it, talk to a lawyer.
riagan37

Postby cinneidigh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:45 pm

It can't be changed after someone dies.
cinneidigh

Postby evian » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Because your mom did sign the new change of beneficiary form, more than likely it will be valid. The legal department has to determine whether or not they have legal grounds to validate the new beneficiary form based upon your mom's mental health condition. The medical records should reflect that. These things take time and you will have to just be patient until it's finalized. You also may consider getting a lawyer to represent you. This may speed things along.

CA licensed - 10 years
[email protected]
evian

Return to Pancreatic Cancer