Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I Need Advice... Ovarian Cysts...?

Ovarian Cancer Discussion Forum

Postby Marco » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:02 pm

I went to the ER on Friday and ended up having to stay until Saturday evening. I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts.

I have to have them surgically removed (laparotomy). Then they're going to test for cancer.

If you have ever been through this, what was it like? What was recovery time like? Were you able to go back to work fairly quick? What are the chances of it being cancerous? If it is, how soon after the laparotomy would they remove my ovary(ies)? I have two on my left ovary and a small one on my right ovary.

Do they return or will this take care of it forever? Will I start getting my menstrual cycle again or will my cycle never return
Marco

Postby Padruig » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:05 pm

ive had the same thing only my cyst was 4cm and it was on my right side so ive had surgery 2 wks ago, quik surgery only about an hour while ur under meds asleep. The pain afterward is agony, very painful. It takes about two weeks of recovery depending on your body an yourself like how you recover and how quickly but that looks like quite a surgery your going to have and looks as if their going to have to remove you ovaries which is what i heard at 1st but guess what my doc removed half my cyst and said were gonna see if this can be treated with meds, im being a little sarcastic here bcuz they didnt tell me but told my boyfriend. They said that they would look at it in the lab for cancer bcuz it looks like i have healthy ovaries,. i actually go back for a follow up today. You should get your cyle back ater surgery, i hope your surgery goes well. hope this helped.
Padruig

Postby Ezrah » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:11 pm

I had stomach pains and sudden crippling ripping sensations and finally when the doctors believed me (three years, it took) they did some ultrasound scans and found my ovaries were riddled. I've been booked in to have them removed.

I wish the absolute best and a speedy recovery.

However, I do know that they are unlikely to be cancerous, the less you have the better it is. They might come back, they might not, it's not an exact science. And yes, you should get your periods as your ovaries aren't being removed (Assuming you are just having the cysts removed).

There are helplines that you can contact and out of hours doctors etc and they will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. It would be worth phoning up so you can put your mind at rest.
Ezrah

Postby Madelon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:18 pm

im sorry ive never gone though anything like that good luck
Madelon

Postby Rhett » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Huh. I had ovarian cysts. Often ovarian cysts go away on their own, so I had ultrasounds done every 3 months to observe them. Mine got smaller over time and finally have gone away altogether.

There are many causes of cysts and not all require surgery. I'd get a second opinion about the surgery to be sure it's really necessary.

As soon as they were found through ultrasound, they did a blood test for cancer and it was negative. I don't know why they'd test for cancer AFTER they remove the cysts? My doctors tested as soon as the cysts were found so they knew there was no need to remove them.
Rhett

Return to Ovarian Cancer