Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I'm going to see an oncologist tomorrow and I'm scared to death, what should I do?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

I'm going to see an oncologist tomorrow and I'm scared to death, what should I do?

Postby jackson » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:32 am

I'm a 13 year old girl and I wasn't be able to eat in past few days, my stomach hurts real bad, and I my legs are weak and I couldn't really walk much lately. My parents were concerned so they took me to the doctor yesterday and I was complaining about my stomach is hurting and I haven't been walking much because my legs been weak lately and she felt my stomach and said it was hard and I told her I wasn't been able eating, then she got concerned and I got referred to an oncologist because my stomach felt hard it could be a possibility of a tumor, so I have to go tomorrow. I'm scared to death that it could be cancer I don't know what to do. There's people with cancer had chemotherapy and has side effects like hair loss and such, I don't want to lose my hair I care too much about my appearances. I'm crying and I don't even know what to do anymore. I don't know why my stomach was hard....I've been healthy all my life, I exercise every single day and I'm on the school soccer team, and I never even eat fast food at all. If I do have cancer, I won't be able to play soccer at all when school starts back and I'll probably miss school as well. I'm scared and I'm too young to have serious things wrong with me especially I eat healthy and I exercise every day. I don't know what to do anymore. What should I do?
jackson

Postby wuyi » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:36 am

Do stomach issues run in the family? They do in mine and I had terrible tummy troubles at your age. I had an ulcer. Never had cancer and I bet you don't either. The more you worry the more your tummy is going to hurt. So sit with a friend or family and take your mind off of it. You will know soon enough and go from there. That's what this life is all about. Please don't worry little one. You'll be okay. Sending up a prayer for you tonight. May you find peace and get some sleep.
wuyi

Postby watt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:38 am

Take a deep breath, watch some cartoons and go to your appointment.
watt

Postby timeus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:44 am

If it is a tumor, there are things one can do besides chemo like eat and drink foods high in anti oxidants and pro biotics, eat foods high in essential fatty acids or concentrated supplements. Brown seaweed is a great cancer fighting supplement. If you look on naturalnews.com you will find all the information that you need on foods and supplements that fight cancer. Oh yea I can't forget green tea another great cancer fighter. Chemo doesn't just make your hair fall out it damages you at the genetic level and more times than not you end up much worse off than before. I wish you best.
timeus

Postby choviohoya » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:59 am

Stomach cancer, particularly at your age, is very unlikely.

These things have to be checked out just to make sure.

Any possibility it could just be constipation?
choviohoya

Postby amyas » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:36 am

That's most unusual. Most people would have been referred to an internist when the family doctor had had a good look.

You are more likely to be struck by lightning than to have cancer at your age.

People see surgeons first then see oncologists for follow up.

I wouldn't worry too much.
amyas

Postby gower » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 am

There's a possibility it won't be a tumor but you have to prepare yourself for the worst. If you DO have cancer, chemotherapy isn't as bad as it sounds. Yes you will be weak and will have to miss soccer and maybe school but bald is beautiful. The only this that matters is that you're beautiful on the inside. What's in your heart is prettier than any make-up or hairstyle. You'll be in my prayers and I really wish you the best.
gower

Postby armaan83 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:48 am

There's a couple of things I need to respond to here. The first is that several people posted that you're not referred to an oncologist until you have a diagnosis. This is NOT necessarily true, especially in pediatric oncology. We do see kids before diagnosis. We see kids with a possible malignancy, most of whom do not actually have cancer, as well as a handful who do end up having cancer.

However, to respond to the asker, there has to be something else going on here. A hard tummy would not get a referral to an oncologist. Did the doctor do any scans or an ultrasound? Any blood work? Something had to be noticed to make your doctor think you need to see an oncologist. It's possible she felt a mass in your stomach. But this normally results in having a scan before seeing an oncologist.

It sounds like maybe the doctor and your parents haven't told you everything. It's more than likely that you will not end up having cancer. But you might want to ask your parents directly why you are seeing an oncologist.
armaan83

Postby macnicol » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:55 am

Your doctor is a crackpot. The last person they send you to is a Oncologist "AFTER" They have already diagnosed you with cancer. She didn't even run any tests first! Your Oncologist is probably going to tell you to get a second opinion. She should have sent you to a gastroeneterologist.
macnicol

Return to Lymphoma