Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Experimental Cancer Patient Wants Others to Benefit

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I'm getting a tattoo to memorialize my mom, who died from lung cancer in July 2011. Any ideas on what to do?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

I'm getting a tattoo to memorialize my mom, who died from lung cancer in July 2011. Any ideas on what to do?

Postby amlawdd31 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:21 am

I was thinking of getting a lung cancer awareness ribbon with Mom in the middle of the loop, her birth date on the left of the ribbon and her death date on the right. Then below it I wanted to put In Loving Memory. Oh and also, in the background of the word Mom, I want an orchid (which was her favorite flower) with white petals and shadowed by a coral color (which was her favorite color). Any ideas on what else I can add, or if I should leave something out? I'm trying to stay within the range of $150 to $200 and I want it to go on my upper left arm. Thanks.
amlawdd31

Postby algrenon71 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:30 am

I was thinking of getting a lung cancer awareness ribbon with Mom in the middle of the loop, her birth date on the left of the ribbon and her death date on the right. Then below it I wanted to put In Loving Memory. Oh and also, in the background of the word Mom, I want an orchid (which was her favorite flower) with white petals and shadowed by a coral color (which was her favorite color). Any ideas on what else I can add, or if I should leave something out? I'm trying to stay within the range of $150 to $200 and I want it to go on my upper left arm. Thanks.
i think it looks good but if she has a special hobbie like music put a couple note by her birth date or maybe a ball if she plays a sport
algrenon71

Postby ryszard86 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:36 am

That is perfect, I wouldn't change or add a single thing.

I am so sorry about your Mom, it is a tough thing loosing someone so close to you.

xoxox.
ryszard86

Postby danon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:39 am

Of course it is your choice at the end of the day. I can only give my person opinion and that is that the cancer did not define your mother, do you really want a reminder of that part of her life?

if I were you I would concentrate more on things that gives you happy memories off your mum, or perhaps something silly that makes you think of her.
The orchid is a lovely idea, something she loved and the colours sound nice too.
Remember this doesn't have to be a rushed decision, is there anything else that makes you think of your mum, gives you fond memories etc??

I lost my mum 11yrs ago, and for the past 5/6 years have been trying to think of a tattoo that is a reminder of her and a tribute, after going from one idea to the next, it was the smallest thing that ended up being the most perfect thing. She was quite a spiritual person and she loved anything associated with native Indians, her room was filled with dream catchers, she even put some in my room and thinking about al those gave me my idea. A simple feather! To anyone else it means nothing, just a simple and pretty design (I am designing it myself and incorporating it into a pattern that will symbolizes movement/wind) to me, it makes me think of her and all those beautiful dream catchers we spent ages putting up and watching blowing in the wind, it always make me smile as it always makes me think of a happy memory with her.

I'm sorry to give you so much personal detail that you don't need to know, but so many people jump into a decision before that really think what it represents.

You will know what's right, just think of good memories with your mum and something will pop into your head and you will know to go with it.

I haven't yet had mine done, I think I have designed it to the best of my ability, I am looking for a good tattoo artist to help perfect it.

Good luck, she will be proud!
danon

Postby kiba » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:44 am

The first thing you need to do is talk to an artist, tell them you want to keep the tattoo with in $160 (as its nice to leave a 20 to 30 tip IF you think the work is worth it) I think getting the coral orchid with a small cancer awareness ribbon wrapped around the stem or entire flower would look very pretty.
kiba

Return to Stomach Cancer