Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I'm anemic. Could I possibly have leukemia?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby suthley » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:47 pm

I'm 15 and i had anemia since I was a child and i got confined for it. But i'm not taking iron tablets for years now. I noticed that I bruise easily and sometimes I could take 3-5 days without eating and not feel very hungry at all. I get light headed alot of times and i feel like i'm easily tired. I think i lose weight slowly and alot of people say i'm losing weight. Could my anemia possibly be a symptom of leukemia?
suthley

Postby leod » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm 15 and i had anemia since I was a child and i got confined for it. But i'm not taking iron tablets for years now. I noticed that I bruise easily and sometimes I could take 3-5 days without eating and not feel very hungry at all. I get light headed alot of times and i feel like i'm easily tired. I think i lose weight slowly and alot of people say i'm losing weight. Could my anemia possibly be a symptom of leukemia?
Since you know you have anemia, some doctor must be checking your blood counts.
A CBC also look at the white cells and platelets. Any type of leukemia would have
shown up on the complete blood count (CBC) blood tests. No doctor could miss that.
So the answer is NO, you should not have any type of leukemia,
and the anemia you have had for many years cannot be a sign of any type of leukemia.
leod

Postby lockwood98 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:14 pm

No.

You bruise easily because you're anaemic (my gran has had iron injections for six years and still gets bruises a lot). You're also tired because of your anaemia. You're probably light headed from a combination of your anaemia (my gran gets that sometimes) and not eating (I have EDNOS, a type of eating disorder, and I get light headed if I don't eat for an entire day), you're experiencing low blood pressure from lack of food. Try eating, you'll notice and improvement.

You're losing weight because you're barely eating. Not because you have leukaemia.
lockwood98

Return to Leukemia Forum