Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I'm a virgin. Did the pap smear break my hymen?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby hozai82 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:24 pm

I am a virgin and got a pap smear because my doctor said that it is something that every women should do to test for cervical cancer whether sexually active or not. It really hurt and was awkward. My doctor wound up switching to the smaller speculum and that still had hurt. Even when she inserted her fingers it hurt too. But as weird and painful as it was, it wasn't so bad that I would never do it again. When I got home, there was blood on my underwear. Did the pap smear break my hymen or just stretch or tear it a little? Will my first time having sex be less painful because of the pap smear?
hozai82

Postby owain » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Breaking a hymen is a myth. It slowly deteriorates with time, penetration, and childbirth. I bled after my first pap smear as well and I was already pregnant when I got it. The hymen stretches to accommodate what's inside, especially with lube. More than likely, the blood is from the cervix rather than the hymen. Don't worry about it.
Your first time having sex shouldn't be painful if you and your partner are adequately lubed and aroused...of course, most of us get so excited, we just stick it in. That's when it would hurt and possibly cause you to bleed. Your pap smear will have no effect on your sex life.
Good luck and remember to practice safe sex!
owain

Postby jerel16 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:35 pm

I think it can break the hymen, because you bled I'm guessing that it did. If it's broken, sex will probably be less painful for you.
jerel16

Return to General Cancer Discussion