Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I have to get naked for a male doctor!?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby jamon20 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:32 pm

In a few hours I have a dermatologist appointment to check for cancerous moles and freckles. I just found out that you have to completely strip so the doctor can check your whole body, but I'm not confortable doing that because this doctor is a male! I can't switch now becausemy regular doctor referred me to him! I'm shaking because not only am I scared that he'll find skin cancer, I'm scared of him seeing me naked!! I'm only 15 so my mom will be in the room I guess but that doesn't make it any better! :(
How can I stop worrying about this? Anybody have any experience like this? Thanks!!
jamon20

Postby cedric52 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Your dermatologist is looking for things on your skin. He's a medical doctor, seen everything, and is interested in looking for diseases of the skin. He's not interested in oogling your body. I'm a guy, and I had a female doctor for years. She was a good doctor, and being a woman was irrelevant to our relationship of doctor/patient. That's how it is.
Don't be scared about possibly finding a skin cancer. They're highly treatable as long as they are discovered early, and being as young as you are, it's good you are getting it checked out.
You'll be given a "garment" that you will wear after you've taken off your clothing. The dermatologist will look at one area, which you will expose, and then go on to additional areas. He will check the particular area that brought you to the office, and then also check other areas that are common problem sites. You're lucky to have people care enough about your health to make sure you're getting checked out.
cedric52

Postby ajatashatru » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm glad to hear everything went well!
If your dermatologist didn't say it, I will. Don't try to get a tan. Tanning is skin damage. Wear sunblock any time you're outside in the sun, and being covered with a hat or sun proof clothing is better than sunblock. Live a long, and healthful life!
ajatashatru

Postby wuyi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Whats the big deal? Hes a doctor, your mother will be there, he has a job to do.

Whats so scary about being seen naked? You were born naked, you shower naked (or so I assume), you're naked under your clothes. And you're pretty damn close to naked when you go swimming.

I've never understood why people fear being naked. :/
wuyi

Postby napier36 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Talk to your mum about changing to a female dermatologist if it makes you feel better, just coz your doc recommends them doesnt mean you have to see that specific person
napier36

Postby molloy69 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:02 pm

RELAX, nothing wrong and nothing will go wrong
you will get naked in a CLINIC in front of a DOCTOR for MEDICAL EXAMINATION and as you told your mother may attend this.
its completely different from what you fear of, and for a doctor you are not the only one he will see naked, he saw much many people naked before you and will see after you (according to the case requirements of course ), you are for him just a case not another thing
let your fears about nakedness go away because it's out of context
the right fears are the result of the exam, you are young to, and i wish you negative results and good luck
molloy69

Return to Stomach Cancer