Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Stanford Researchers Target Cancer Cell Proliferation

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I have swollen sometimes painful glands or lymph nodes in jawline and neck....it's been YEARS!?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

I have swollen sometimes painful glands or lymph nodes in jawline and neck....it's been YEARS!?

Postby iver74 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:16 pm

This has been going on for years. First noticed this when I was about 13. I am 29 now.I was too scared to tell anyone because a kid in my school had just died from cancer. The pain and discomfort are almost always accompanied by swelling in the face, headache pain and pressure, eye pain around the socket, and slight blurred vision. These episodes occur several times a year. As many as 10-15 times a year and can last for days at a time. Most recently I went to the doctor about a week ago. Severe pain on the side where glands are. From back of head to the top of shoulder and everywhere in between. Everything was very swollen. She said I had an abscess but she couldn't tell why or what caused it. I'm on Augmentin and while the symptoms as far as pain and swelling were going down I opted to have my upper wisdom tooth pulled just for process if elimination. Went back to doctor today, a week after my first visit due to diarrhea, nausea, body aches and pains. No fever. But the same feelings as if I had a fever. She says maybe something viral I caught. She did not do any bloodwork. Only swabbed my nose to check for flu. I want this to go away once and for all. I've never really told anyone but my husband once before. He thinks nothing of it. Any ideas what type of condition I have. By the way my father told me once when I was a baby that I was taken to the hospital because one side of my faced swelled up. They never found out what it was. I need answers!! Help!
iver74

Postby arran » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:21 pm

If its been there for years then its probably not serious or you would have noticed by now.

You should still go to the doctor, you should have gone to the doctor as soon as you noticed it. NEVER rely on the internet for medical help - go to your GP and have them look at it.

None of these appear to be cancer symptoms though if this is what worries you - BUT YOU SHOULD STILL GET IT CHECKED OUT (again if need be)
arran

Postby boot » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:24 pm

If its been there for years then its probably not serious or you would have noticed by now.

You should still go to the doctor, you should have gone to the doctor as soon as you noticed it. NEVER rely on the internet for medical help - go to your GP and have them look at it.

None of these appear to be cancer symptoms though if this is what worries you - BUT YOU SHOULD STILL GET IT CHECKED OUT (again if need be)
It may very well be a defect in your sinus which you have had from birth. A birth defect of the sinus is a congenital anomaly which often can cause mucus and toxins, waste products and drainage to collect, fester, and then lead to chronic and severe sinus infections. These infections can cause the facial swelling and lymph node pain you describe along with chronic rhinitis symptoms, headaches and breathing difficulties. This problem can be easily checked by an ENT doctor by running a CT of the head. Most all of these problems are very treatable and lead to complete resolution of the symptoms.
Ask your physician to refer tyou to an ENT for an exam. Good Luck.
boot

Return to Cancer Prevention