Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I have petechiae(broken blood vessels) on my body, help!??!??!?!?!?!?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby caillen » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:01 pm

About two weeks ago I started noticing little tiny red dots scattered all over my legs, calves, arms, chest, back, and stomach. I don't have any symptoms besides the petechiae and im freaking out... I googled everything i possibly could to find an answer. i went to the clinic and the doctor took a quick glance at me and told me it was an allergic reaction, but i really don't think it is. i can't get into my family doctor until wednesday and i need answers! :( please help me, google is telling me petechiae isnt a good sign, and can be leukemia or different types of diseases... the dots haven't been going away, they just keep resurfacing on body, especially my legs. :(
One weird thing i noticed is that my chest has raised red bumps, unlike the petechiae its more pimple-like. I do take birth control, could that cause petechiae??!
On some parts of my body like my wrists and hips, im getting small bruises or small patches of red also.
THANK YOU to anybody who answers me as i am extremely desperate! :(
caillen

Postby jeevan59 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:04 pm

I do know that it is sign of leukemia. But it is moat likely an allergic reaction. You would probably have more symptoms if it were leukemia. If it really worries you, go get a complete blood count. That will be able to show leukemia.
jeevan59

Postby athmarr60 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Petechiae is not raised. The rash is more like flecks of purple-red against your skin. It looks like the blotching when a really nasty bruise fades. Except that's how it comes up. Take a clear glass and press against your rash. A petechiae rash will not go white- it remains the same color. If your rash does not blanch, then there is a good chance that it is petechiae. I think an allergic rash would blanch.

The bruising with the rash concerns me. I really do think you need to find a doctor willing to find out what the rash is. Your birth control could easily be the culprit.
athmarr60

Postby riagan37 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Petechiae is not raised. The rash is more like flecks of purple-red against your skin. It looks like the blotching when a really nasty bruise fades. Except that's how it comes up. Take a clear glass and press against your rash. A petechiae rash will not go white- it remains the same color. If your rash does not blanch, then there is a good chance that it is petechiae. I think an allergic rash would blanch.

The bruising with the rash concerns me. I really do think you need to find a doctor willing to find out what the rash is. Your birth control could easily be the culprit.
its not time to freak out yet...broken blood vessels could be from anything...lets not jump to things like leukemia yet. First of all...broken blood vessels should look just like that...small surface red lines...not dots. I have some around my nose and at the top of my thighs, both very common spots for them. Red raised dots actually do sound like a type of reaction....have you tried hydrocortisone cream on them? It could be lack of a certain vitamin, a reaction of some type to a possible million things, or good old fashioned genetics. Your doc will do basic bloodwork on you, a CBC, liver and kidney function tests and start there...but i really think this is a skin thing only. Its also possible you have foliculitis and thats where there is an infection in the follicules of your skin. Now that would cause red dots. I used to work in a professional office and was required to wear pantyhose in the summer even and i got foliculitis. I was covered in red dots...a few weeks with a cream and it went away. If your doc doesnt help...see a dermatologist since that is their area of expertise...i am sure it will all work out fine.
riagan37

Re: I have petechiae(broken blood vessels) on my body, help!

Postby cori-laveer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:47 pm

I was in a really bad car accident in 1987, doctor put me on Motrin 800mg every 4 hrs, I started vomiting and passing blood, i quit taking them... but then started noticing a few bright red "blood dots" on upper chest area and arms. They never went away, and no doctor knew what they were. I was told "Don't scratch them". Um, they don't itch. "They will go away". It's been 36 years,they're still there, never changed. Some time in 2011 another car accident, given NSAIDS, acquired more slightly bigger this time raised red dots on skin, which actually caused a "stabbing" pain when appearing across abdominal area, (one exceptionally painful on right temple), I told doctor "I told you I was allergic to Motrin and NSAIDS, he said, "it's not from that. These things sometimes just appear." What?
Well they are there, forever, and no one seems to know how to get rid of them - as annoying and embarrassing as they are, and I guess I just have to live with them, - as he says they're not cancerous, or "contageous". LOL Ok, I"m rather glad to hear i'm not the only one, as "no one" i know or have met has this "skin condition" or can tell me anything about it, doctors included. Just call me Spot, or Dot, and we'll both laugh about it (for the moment :) )
cori-laveer

Return to Lymphoma