Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I have no Thyroid and I can't lose weight!?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby clerc53 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:52 am

I had my thyroid removed last Sept. because of papillary cancer. I had hoshimoto's really bad that went undiagnosed and in 3 months time I gained 70 lbs. (Dr. during the thyroidectomy said it was the worst he had ever seen in his 20 years of practice) Now I walk 2 times a day for 15 min. and I eat healthier, I just lose 6 lbs and plato! I'm am terribly frustrated and don't understand why nothing is coming off. Now at 273 I feel miserable. I am on the right dose for my thyroid meds, and I even spent 300 bucks on a wii gaming system but I still usually lose about 6-10 lbs and plato! Has anyone out there found something that works, this weight is not healthy for my body and I want it off! I cannot take diet pills as it could cause heart problems and interact with my meds.
clerc53

Postby adamek14 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:59 am

If you are certain that your thyroid dosage is correct, and continue to have it regularly monitored, then that's not the problem.

You need to stimulate your metabolism and increase muscle. The reason you plateau is because you body become used to the amount of calories you are using. If you walk 2 times a day for 15 minutes, then the next week, you should increase your time to 20 minutes. Or add different activities in that use different muscle groups. This will ensure that you are strengthening muscle, which will help to burn more calories.
adamek14

Postby rhisiart » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:01 am

Special diets
Special 'wonder' diets are often advertised, but they are often not helpful. This is because your old eating habits will usually return after a short 'special diet', and weight often goes back on.
Top tip - it is not usually a special diet that you need, but a life-long change to a healthy diet.
rhisiart

Postby leyman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:05 am

my idea is Tape worms.
Eat some and they will feed off your food then you lose the weight (Which will be fast), when your near your target weight by like 5 pounds get some meds to rid of the tape worms.
I have always thought this idea could work and nobody has told me otherwise.
leyman

Postby garran » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:13 am

my idea is Tape worms.
Eat some and they will feed off your food then you lose the weight (Which will be fast), when your near your target weight by like 5 pounds get some meds to rid of the tape worms.
I have always thought this idea could work and nobody has told me otherwise.
I have been through it all and know what's it about. The main thing is to stick in there. You can't be an addict to food and never exercise if you want to live a healthy life and keep the weight off. I've worked out, done every diet, and all types of classes.

Nothing works, besides dedication and intelligence towards the subject of losing weight.

First, depending on how much weight you need to lose, your diet is the first concern. You can't eat 10,000 calories a day and expect the weight to come off, even if you are exercising a lot. Which brings us to the next thing. Duh, Exercising...

This is a must especially if you need to a lot of weight. Get at least 30 mins of some good hardcore exercising. Do some cardio, in the long run, it's good for the heart.

However, I find the most hardest part of losing weight/keeping it off, in my diet. It's so hard to keep your fingers out of the cookie jar or those chocolate goodies. I've found a great addition to help any one out, it's a natural weight loss supplement called Proactol. Now don't get all crazy on me and say diet pills don't work. That is true, but not in this case. This one isn't meant to burn pounds while you sit on the couch. It's an appetite suppressant, along with being a fat binder. I saved money on the pills at theweightlossplace.com along with getting some good info. It basically makes those fingers not go towards the cookie jar. For me it's the best pill I've tried and I've tried cupboards full. Now this doesn't mean you have to follow my foot steps but I've successfully lost roughly 70 pounds and keeping it off til this day.

Well good luck and remember what I said, Dedicate.
garran

Postby erbin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:16 am

I have the same exact problem. I was overweight before my thyroid came out, so now I am really really overweight. The doctor says if your meds are stabilized, you should have no problems losing weight, but everyone I talk to says that is NOTt true. Your body is just never going to be the same as with it's own natural thyroid. Despite what other people who still have their thyroid will tell you.

I've heard it takes endless patience, dedication, and trying to be encouraged by small victories. I feel your pain. I used to be a size 6 and now I'm up to a 16. The worst is the judgement from my tiny mother who thinks I just need to "take better care of myself." Remember you are not alone!
erbin

Postby chonen6 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:28 am

when i hit a plateau with losing weight here is what i would do. i would change my calorie intake up to 1700-1800 a day, still watching my sodium and carb intake, and keep it there for about a week. making sure i dint gain any weight back i still kept doing my exercises. then after a week i plummeted my calorie intake down to 1000-1200 for a week which got the ball rolling again and my body was like hey, waht this im not getting the energy i need so it starts burning up the fat. but dont stay at that low of a calorie intake for very long, a week mak, then try to **** back to a health 1500 calorie intake

but the best thing you can do is keep that walking up, try and walk as much as you can everyday

also, i tried something called the master cleanse, its like a crash diet.
i lost 10 lbs in 4 days, but it is really hard to get through and i onl made it half way, so i wouldnt recommend it. but if you get desperate, there are all kinds of videos on youtube.com that tell you what to do

i wish you the very best of luck, and i really hope you meet your goal, dont give up and stay strong!
chonen6

Return to Thyroid Cancer