Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I have genital warts, can I still get cervical cancer?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby devlin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:35 am

I have the HPV that causes genital warts. Before you tell me to talk to my doctor about this, I have an appointment for Wednesday and am just curious and want to ask now.
I know for a fact I have HPV because my boyfriend has been diagnosed as of last week (he has genital warts) and I've started to notice small white bumps all over my vagina.

So my question is.. since I have the HPV that causes genital warts, do I still have a chance at getting cervical cancer? I was under the impression that certain types of HPV cause warts, while others cause cancer. But today my friend told me all HPV does both?
devlin

Postby athmarr60 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 am

The fact that you have HPV does increase your risk to Cervical Cancer. But the truth is some HPV tend to increase your risk more than others.Thus take a test to determine if the type you have is the one that causes an increase risk for Cervical Cancer
However the best way to prevent this from happening is ensuring that you consume foods that are high in antioxidants and vitamin C thus your immune system has fewer chances to degrade aiding in the development of a cancer cell(s) in your female reproductive organ. In addition a recent study has proved that having sex with one sexual partner and using a condom also reduces your risk and try eating sour sop it is a fruit that has been proven recently to reduce the likelihood of cancer.

All the best

Oh and I forgot take your anti-viral medications if you are on any. Plus try freezing/burning/cutting of warts so that they don't spread to other parts of your body since they are very contagious.
Remember this isn't the end of your life,life goes on surround yourself with people who love you and who you love nad take life one day at a time
athmarr60

Postby joseph » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:44 am

Well, yes and no. On the one hand, the types of HPV that cause genital warts don't cause cancer. (Hooray! Look it up on Wikipedia if you don't believe.) On the other hand, there's nothing stopping anybody from having more than one type of HPV at once, which means you could just as easily also be infected by a form of HPV that will have no symptoms besides potentially causing cervical cancer.

But rest assured - the type of HPV you know you do you have will not cause cervical cancer.
joseph

Postby dakarai37 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:54 am

There is still a chance of getting cancer. However, just pray about it and know that this too shall pass. I too have HPV but thank God that He is a healer and that it has been a year since I was diagnosed with HPV and my pap smear just came back normal and the biopsy that was done on the mass sample from my clitoris was benign as well. We serve an awesome God so just trust and believe in Him and his Word. On a last note, save yourself for your husband because life is too short to endure situations such as these- NO MAN IS WORTH IT!!!
dakarai37

Postby rhisiart » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:56 am

yes, you do have a chance of getting cervical cancer and/or pre cancerous cells. Guys usually dont have any symptoms and it is easily spread. Good Luck and happy you are headed to the doctor. NO more unprotected sex.
rhisiart

Postby faulkner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:59 am

Yes becaus4e the types that cause cervical cancer (16 & 18) are different from those that cause genital warts. Get immunised with gardisil
faulkner

Postby luigi » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:01 am

Not all HPV virus' cause cancer. There are many many strains of the HPV virus. I had gential warts, they were removed by a doctor and I have never had another episode of the warts apprearing. That was almost 5 years ago. I have not contacted cervical cancer, that I know of, I get regular pap smears and make sure things are going ok now.

It's not fun to have an STD. Try not to worry more than you have to, stress is a trigger of outbreaks in the warts.

Go to that doctors appt. Talk with the dr. Most of all remember when you have unprotected sex, the disease you get could be more than just genital warts. IT could be Aids next.....do you really want to chance sex without a condom, in trade for another disease?

WRAP it up if you must have sex. Protect yourself....please......
luigi

Postby danon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:10 am

Gardasil protects against certain HPV strains, type 16; 18 and another. But once sexually active Gardasil will probably not be recommended by your Practitioner, but still ask when you see your MD. The three types that Gardasil protects against DO cause genital warts.

At this point you have no idea as to what "type" you have and I do not think that they "type" the warts but do get them typed if you can, then at least you will know if it is one of the three "most likely" types that lead to cervical cancer.

If they are HPV your doctor will refer you or use a treatment to remove them.

If they are one of the high-risk types then regular gynecological exams and pap smears are important. While the infection, if a high-risk type, "can" lead to cancer, generally a pap smear will detect changes "before" they turn cancerous. Abnormal pap smear results will be typed. Affected tissues can be removed by freezing before they turn to cancer. So if you have been exposed to a high-risk type by regular scheduled check-ups you can reduce the risk of cancer to a very low one.

The path is normal cells > abnormal but not cancerous (pre-cancerous) > cancerous cells. With pap tests you can break the path at abnormal but not cancerous.

Also I have read studies that indicate that there is a very strong correlation between tobacco smoking and cancer outcome in those infected with a high-risk type. I cannot remember the source but I seem to remember that by not smoking you reduce your risk by ~90%.
danon

Return to Cervical Cancer