Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I Have Been Exposed To Asbestos, Should I Be Worried?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Postby Antonino » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:22 am

Oh Honey, this must b so stressful for you, i feel for you havin to worry about something like this...
Now i hope this can help you and hopefully ease your mind - If the asbestos you were exposed to was being disturbed and you were in amongst the dust than yes you should go see you Doctor. And if it wasn't than you'll b fine i'm sure. The reason i'm saying this is some people move into a house or whatever and find it is an asbestos house and realise they have a hole in their wall and think this is being exposed. So i can't give you a definite answer cause i'm not sure how you were exposed... Kind Regards...

Here are some sights i found, have bit of a look. Hope this helps.

www.atsdr.cdc.gov/NEWS/asbestosexposur... - 12k - Cached - More from this site

wwwww.osh.govt.nz/services/notificatio... - 9k - Cached - More from this site

In that case please go see ur doctor he/she can help u best. Wishing u all the best....
Antonino

Postby shen21 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:26 am

I lived in a house for a year with asbestos and as long as it is wrapped up and sealed you should be fine just hope you didn't mess with it, my understanding is you won't get sick unless you touch it or inhale its dust. I would say if you are worried go to your doc there has got to be some sort of test that can tell you more
shen21

Postby Tredway » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:28 am

What was your exposure? It isn't likely that you have anything to worry about.
Tredway

Postby Davide » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:34 am

Depending on the type of asbestos, does depend on how severe the reaction. I too have worked with asbestos for over 10 years and I'm ok. But I did have a check up.

Asbestos lung disease is an unpleasant way to die. Asbestos fiber has little hooks which hook onto the lung wall, the lung defends itself by covering the asbestos fiber, thereby reducing the capacity of the lung. Because the hook of the fiber is still stuck in the lung wall the body covers it and eventually there is no lung capacity. So the body in attempting to cover the fiber kills itself!

Oh what a happy tale!
Davide

Postby Mano » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:38 am

YES!! YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY BE CONCERNED! MY HOUSE BURNED DOWN A FEW YEARS AGO.. AND THEY WOULDN'T VEEN ALLOW US TO GO INSIDE THE HOUSE BECAUSE OF ASBESTOS... GO TO A PHYSICIAN QUICK!! AND TELL THEM!!
Mano

Postby Devery » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:43 am

There's a couple of risks associated with asbestos exposure:

Asbestosis, which is a result of long term exposure;

Cancer, such as mesothelioma which you can be at increased risk of after even a small exposure. Cigarette smoking further increases the risk.

If you are worried, talk to your doctor and make sure you don't smoke to minimise your risk.
Devery

Return to Mesothelioma Forum