Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I have an abnormally large thyroid, what does this mean?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby weallere » Tue Mar 17, 1998 7:04 am

I've had thyroid issues my entire life, it's hereditary in my family. I've had many many many blood tests done to see if anything is really wrong with it, but nothing has ever shown up significant. However on Sunday, I came down with a really high fever and the next morning was rushed to the doctor who diagnosed me with the flu. When the doctor was doing the normal exam (breathing, heart rate, etc.) she felt my neck and said that my thyroid was abnormally enlarged.

This scared me because I had never noticed it but I took a look in the mirror while she said that and I could kind of notice it. It's never been that large. She scheduled me for an ultrasound tomorrow and I'm scared out of my mind :/ I've been freaking myself out that it's thyroid cancer and I'll have to get it removed, or something else.

I'm 19, if that helps.
weallere

Postby albrecht » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:31 pm

I wouldn't worry about anything until you get your results back. We are all born different shapes and sizes, and what appears to be abnormally large could just be a perceived abnormality but function normal. I wouldn't instantly assume there is a direct correlation between a thyroid and a fever. One never knows, but stay optimistic. It's easy to get flustered about medical problems, especially when you think something may be wrong with you. Been there done that. I always came out okay. Still here.
albrecht

Postby maccoll35 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 pm

I've had thyroid issues my entire life, it's hereditary in my family. I've had many many many blood tests done to see if anything is really wrong with it, but nothing has ever shown up significant. However on Sunday, I came down with a really high fever and the next morning was rushed to the doctor who diagnosed me with the flu. When the doctor was doing the normal exam (breathing, heart rate, etc.) she felt my neck and said that my thyroid was abnormally enlarged.

This scared me because I had never noticed it but I took a look in the mirror while she said that and I could kind of notice it. It's never been that large. She scheduled me for an ultrasound tomorrow and I'm scared out of my mind :/ I've been freaking myself out that it's thyroid cancer and I'll have to get it removed, or something else.

I'm 19, if that helps.
maccoll35

Return to Thyroid Cancer