Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Biomarker Discovered for Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I have a question about physical exam for 14 years old girls?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby claudius » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:57 am

1. is your mom in there with you ?
2. do you have a women or a men doctor ?
3. if you tell your doctor that you started your period what do they do?
4.what happens at the exam?
1 hour ago - 3 days left to answer.
Additional Details
1 hour ago

i am asking the question because when i was 13 i went to my doctor who is a women and i was crying the whole time after.

me and my mom never see each other but at the doctor made me take of by t -shirt and the bra and i dont feel comftreble like that and then she was talking for an hour about the fact that i should stand streight and the she mesured my blood pressurs or some pressurs and it was not normel because she did all that stuff and i have to go to her again in a week or so and the thing she did to me with out a bra i had done to me with a bra on an d she was not checking for brest cancer or anything like that
claudius

Postby caerllion » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:03 am

Whether you want to see a male or female health care professional is up to you. Some women say that they prefer being examined by a female doctor or nurse because it puts them more at ease and they feel like they can talk more openly about women's health problems and sexuality issues. Other women feel comfortable being examined by a male doctor or nurse. If the doctor or nurse is male, he will usually have a female assistant in the room with him during all parts of the exam.

During the physical part of the gynecologic exam, you'll be asked to lie on your back on the table. You'll have the paper sheet or gown covering you, and the doctor will only uncover the parts of your body being examined.

The doctor will give you a breast exam by lightly pressing on different parts of your breasts. After finishing, he or she may show you how to examine your own breasts. This helps you become familiar with how your breasts feel so you know which lumps are normal and which may be the result of a change.

During the pelvic part of the exam, the doctor or nurse practitioner will ask you to move down so your behind is at the end of the table. You'll bend your knees and rest your feet in two stirrups, which are metal triangular loops that stick out from the end of the table. These might look a little scary, but they're just there to rest your feet in and keep you more comfortable. The doctor will ask you to relax your knees out to the sides as far as they will go. It might feel a little funny to be lying with your legs opened like this, but everyone feels that way at first.

The doctor will put on gloves and examine the outside of your vagina to make sure that there are no sores or swelling and that everything looks OK on the outside.

Next, the doctor will want to look at the inside of your vagina and will do so with the help of a speculum (pronounced: speh-kyuh-lum). A speculum is a thin piece of plastic or metal with a hinged piece on one end that allows it to open and close. The doctor or nurse will warm the speculum with water (some offices keep the speculum warmed in a drawer with a heating pad). The doctor or nurse will then slide the speculum into your vagina. Usually the doctor will tell you when he or she is about to place the speculum inside you so it doesn't come as a surprise.

Once the speculum is in the vagina, it can be opened to allow the doctor to see inside. Putting in and opening the speculum should not be painful, although some women say that it can cause a bit of pressure and discomfort. Naturally, if this is your first exam, you might feel a little tense. Because the vagina is surrounded by muscles that can contract or relax, the exam can be more comfortable if you try to stay calm and relax the muscles in that area.

If you feel like you're tensing up the muscles in your vagina, try breathing deeply or doing some breathing exercises to help you stay relaxed. Sometimes humming your favorite song or making small talk can distract you and allow you to feel more relaxed.

After the speculum is in place, the doctor will shine a light inside the vagina to look for anything unusual, like redness, swelling, discharge, or sores. He or she may then do a Pap smear, which involves touching the cervix to pick up cells from that area.

The cervix is the opening to the uterus, and it's located at the very top of the vagina. The Pap smear should not hurt, but it might be uncomfortable, especially if this is your first pelvic exam. The good news is this part of the exam is over quickly.

The cells that have been collected are sent to a laboratory where they are studied for any abnormal cells, which might indicate infection or warning signs of cervical cancer. (Like breast cancer, cervical cancer is very unusual in teen girls.)

If you have had sex, the doctor or nurse practitioner may test for STDs. He or she will swab the inside of the cervix with what looks like a cotton swab. The speculum is then slid out of the vagina. As with the Pap smear, the sample is sent out to a laboratory where it is tested for various STDs.

Talk to your doctor or a nurse about how you want to be contacted with results, and what they should do if they are unable to reach you. Again, doctors and nurses will do their best to maintain confidentiality, but they need to be able to reach you.

Because the ovaries and uterus are so far inside a girl's body that they can't be seen at all, even with the speculum, the doctor will need to feel them to be sure they're healthy. While your feet are still in the stirrups, and after the speculum is removed from the vagina, the doctor will put lubricant on two fingers (while still wearing the gloves) and slide them inside your vagina. Using the other hand, he or she will press on the outside of your lower abdomen (the area between your vagina and your stomach). With two hands, one on the outside and one on the inside, the doctor can make sure that the ovaries and uterus are the right size and free of cysts or other growths.

During this part of the exam, you may feel a little pressure or discomfort. Again, it's important to relax your muscles and take slow, deep breaths if you feel nervous.

At this point, the physical part of the exam is usually over. Your own doctor may do the exam in a different order, but it will probably include all these steps.
caerllion

Postby farand » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:05 am

Whether you want to see a male or female health care professional is up to you. Some women say that they prefer being examined by a female doctor or nurse because it puts them more at ease and they feel like they can talk more openly about women's health problems and sexuality issues. Other women feel comfortable being examined by a male doctor or nurse. If the doctor or nurse is male, he will usually have a female assistant in the room with him during all parts of the exam.

During the physical part of the gynecologic exam, you'll be asked to lie on your back on the table. You'll have the paper sheet or gown covering you, and the doctor will only uncover the parts of your body being examined.

The doctor will give you a breast exam by lightly pressing on different parts of your breasts. After finishing, he or she may show you how to examine your own breasts. This helps you become familiar with how your breasts feel so you know which lumps are normal and which may be the result of a change.

During the pelvic part of the exam, the doctor or nurse practitioner will ask you to move down so your behind is at the end of the table. You'll bend your knees and rest your feet in two stirrups, which are metal triangular loops that stick out from the end of the table. These might look a little scary, but they're just there to rest your feet in and keep you more comfortable. The doctor will ask you to relax your knees out to the sides as far as they will go. It might feel a little funny to be lying with your legs opened like this, but everyone feels that way at first.

The doctor will put on gloves and examine the outside of your vagina to make sure that there are no sores or swelling and that everything looks OK on the outside.

Next, the doctor will want to look at the inside of your vagina and will do so with the help of a speculum (pronounced: speh-kyuh-lum). A speculum is a thin piece of plastic or metal with a hinged piece on one end that allows it to open and close. The doctor or nurse will warm the speculum with water (some offices keep the speculum warmed in a drawer with a heating pad). The doctor or nurse will then slide the speculum into your vagina. Usually the doctor will tell you when he or she is about to place the speculum inside you so it doesn't come as a surprise.

Once the speculum is in the vagina, it can be opened to allow the doctor to see inside. Putting in and opening the speculum should not be painful, although some women say that it can cause a bit of pressure and discomfort. Naturally, if this is your first exam, you might feel a little tense. Because the vagina is surrounded by muscles that can contract or relax, the exam can be more comfortable if you try to stay calm and relax the muscles in that area.

If you feel like you're tensing up the muscles in your vagina, try breathing deeply or doing some breathing exercises to help you stay relaxed. Sometimes humming your favorite song or making small talk can distract you and allow you to feel more relaxed.

After the speculum is in place, the doctor will shine a light inside the vagina to look for anything unusual, like redness, swelling, discharge, or sores. He or she may then do a Pap smear, which involves touching the cervix to pick up cells from that area.

The cervix is the opening to the uterus, and it's located at the very top of the vagina. The Pap smear should not hurt, but it might be uncomfortable, especially if this is your first pelvic exam. The good news is this part of the exam is over quickly.

The cells that have been collected are sent to a laboratory where they are studied for any abnormal cells, which might indicate infection or warning signs of cervical cancer. (Like breast cancer, cervical cancer is very unusual in teen girls.)

If you have had sex, the doctor or nurse practitioner may test for STDs. He or she will swab the inside of the cervix with what looks like a cotton swab. The speculum is then slid out of the vagina. As with the Pap smear, the sample is sent out to a laboratory where it is tested for various STDs.

Talk to your doctor or a nurse about how you want to be contacted with results, and what they should do if they are unable to reach you. Again, doctors and nurses will do their best to maintain confidentiality, but they need to be able to reach you.

Because the ovaries and uterus are so far inside a girl's body that they can't be seen at all, even with the speculum, the doctor will need to feel them to be sure they're healthy. While your feet are still in the stirrups, and after the speculum is removed from the vagina, the doctor will put lubricant on two fingers (while still wearing the gloves) and slide them inside your vagina. Using the other hand, he or she will press on the outside of your lower abdomen (the area between your vagina and your stomach). With two hands, one on the outside and one on the inside, the doctor can make sure that the ovaries and uterus are the right size and free of cysts or other growths.

During this part of the exam, you may feel a little pressure or discomfort. Again, it's important to relax your muscles and take slow, deep breaths if you feel nervous.

At this point, the physical part of the exam is usually over. Your own doctor may do the exam in a different order, but it will probably include all these steps.
sometimes
man
idk i guess they write it down
i didnt get the exam yet
farand

Postby cuddle35 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:16 am

Well i am 14 and I got to a woman doctor also. My mom and I really like her because she does not do anything that is unecessary she tries her best to make sure you feel comfortable she doesnt make you take off any of your clothes she just really quickly looks where she needs to and thats it but the point is that she is still a very good doctor. But about your situation I would tell your mom and your doctor that you dont feel comfortable taking your bra off I would wear a sports bra and then ask her if you could just take off your bra if and when she needs you too. You pay a doctor lots of $ the least they can do is try to make you feel comfortable... and if worst comes to worst i would suggest you switch doctors, because that is not right what your doctor is doing to you. YOU ARE RIGHT NOT THE DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!
cuddle35

Postby aoidh66 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:20 am

1-shedoesnt have to be but im pretty sure a fammember does.
2-it just depends, i think. whoever is ur pediatricain.
3-nothing. just ask u wenever u go if its regular flow,everymonth, ect.
4-nothing really. i had to get a few shots (hadnt been in awhile, and the vagasil vaccine. u could look into that) she did normal checkup stuff like when u were a kid.

um. maybe the other doc was doing it wrong but u should ask. they r there to help u so if ur curious just ask her. i didnt have to take anything off wen i had it. but all offices r different.
aoidh66

Postby garrick » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:23 am

Ask your mom if you can have a female doctor instead of a male cause thats just embarassing for a younger female. The male doctors wont care but still ask for a female.First off are you going to the gyno or a regular doctors for a yearly physical. If its a reg. doctor then theres nothing to worry bout. Just your usual tests and questions that you were asked when you went the last time.They check your weight, height, temp, eyes, urine or blood, blood pressure ask you about your health and some family history. Your mom can be there if you want in both places. Its when your 18 and up they ask for the moms to leave the room. If its the other doctor you will be a bit uncomfortable they check your inside ehh down there with a few tools. Your cervicx. your boobs your weight, height, and ask you to tell her about your period just a few questions.
garrick

Postby qiao » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:30 am

Ask your mom if you can have a female doctor instead of a male cause thats just embarassing for a younger female. The male doctors wont care but still ask for a female.First off are you going to the gyno or a regular doctors for a yearly physical. If its a reg. doctor then theres nothing to worry bout. Just your usual tests and questions that you were asked when you went the last time.They check your weight, height, temp, eyes, urine or blood, blood pressure ask you about your health and some family history. Your mom can be there if you want in both places. Its when your 18 and up they ask for the moms to leave the room. If its the other doctor you will be a bit uncomfortable they check your inside ehh down there with a few tools. Your cervicx. your boobs your weight, height, and ask you to tell her about your period just a few questions.
They remove your bra to check for any abnormalities. It happens to every women once a year and you will have to do it as well. It is all a safety precaution. It is your choice if you want your mom in the room or not. Since you are 14, I am guessing that she will probably have to be in there....but I could be wrong. It is your choice whether or not you want to see a male/female dr. I personally like a male better than a female, but everyone is different. If you tell your dr that you started your period they will probably just ask you questions about it to see if it is regular or to see if there is anything to be concerned about. I am not sure what kind of dr you are going to, but since you have started your period they may do a pap smear on you. Which means you will have to undress, but will have a gown on over you. A dr will look into your vagina, take a swob of your cells, then feel around to make sure that you have all your necessary parts. If you want more info, get the number to the dr's office from your mom. Then, call and ask to speak wtih the dr's nurse, you will probably have to leave her a voicemail. Leave her your name and telephone number and let her know its a few questions about an upcoming appt. When she calls back, just let her know you are a little scared and want to know what the typical procedure is going to be for your visit. She should be able to answer most of your questions. You may even be able to ask the front desk. Everything that happened to you previously seems to be normal. Unless a dr was touching you inapproprietly or something.
qiao

Postby milward61 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:34 am

Your mom doesn't have to be there with you, it is all your choice! I have a woman doctor, and normally you can get one no problem. Your doctor should ask about your period, just to put it in your record! Most of the time they will check your wait, ask you a few questions, you blood pressure, and you breast, and maybe even vaginal areas. Don't be that scared doctors are trained for all of this stuff, they will not be looking at you like that. it is totally to make sure your healthy, and they can't say anything they see! They may not check for breat cancer until you get older, but to do it they just feel your breast around the edges to see if there are any bumps! Nothing to worry about!
milward61

Return to Cervical Cancer