Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I have a question about cancer and chemotherapy.?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Postby dakarai37 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:38 pm

my mother has colon cancer and was treated for five weeks with chemotherapy capsules. She finished her five week treatment and discovered that her cancer spread to her liver. She is off treatment for a month and will start her iv chemotherapy in a month. I heard that there is something called "Titano" en Mexico that allows her to have a spot for her injection to go in without them having to poke her and stuff. Any idea what it can be ? What is the best hospital we can attend in L.A that accept medical. Harbor UCLA is not working for us atm the app. dates are to far from each other i feel like we are letting time pass by (btw i have the iv question because my mom goes through pain everytime they inject her because they cant find her vains) thank you.
dakarai37

Postby burhleag » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:40 pm

As the others have said, she needs a port-a-cath.
You question is confusing as she does not have medical. She has Medi Cal which is called Medicaid in every state in the country except California.
You should know it is very likely the hold ups may not be because of the hospital, but because of Medi Cal and may continue to happen regardless of where you go.
If you are going to Harbor General, USC may be too far for you. They have to take Medi Cal as they are a teaching facility and part of the UC system. In order to go to City of Hope they must accept you as a patient first and they do not accept everyone. Cedars is required to take a number of Medi Cal patients as they are a teaching facility although privately owned. UCLA is an excellent hospital, but they treat many of their Medi Cal patients out of Olive View. A very good community hospital that accepts Medi Cal is Lakewood Regional.
burhleag

Postby camdene » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:46 pm

She can have a *port* put in. It is placed under the skin, upper chest near the shoulder. The medical team like this option much more than the poking the arm option. It is easy to care for and used to take blood as well as for chemo treatments. Most chemo patients have this.

I live in Florida so I'm not familiar with the west coast hospitals. You really want the best hospital for your type cancer, which may not be the same thing as the best hospital for another type cancer.
camdene

Postby helmutt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:58 pm

ask her doctor to order a medi-port or port-a-cath the names are just manufacturer lingo. But its just a catheter with a hub that nestles just under the skin and which the chemo nurses can numb before inserting the needle each time and it goes in a lot easier than into a vein. I don't know about the hospital though as I don't live there.
helmutt

Postby lundy19 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:03 pm

She wants a port put in so they just have to inject the chemo through that instead of poking her every time.The other question can be answered by someone that lives in or near LA, as I'm way on the other side of the country and only know about the best here..
lundy19

Postby joseph » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:10 pm

Hey, I suggest you to consult SurgeryPlanet, which is a global healthcare facilitator. They can suggest some of the best hospitals in L.A.

You can also visit www,surgeryplanet.com for more information.
joseph

Postby johan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:11 pm

I live in Los Angeles (and I'm also a breast cancer survivor - but I have Kaiser so that's my care provider).

Okay, try the following facilities for cancer treatments here in CA (I'm assuming you're in the L.A. area because you've been in touch with UCLA):

1. USC Medical Center (call the Kenneth Norris Cancer Hospital (Los Angeles next to the County USC Hospital on State St. off the 5 Freeway is East L.A.) - they won't take her, but they can tell you who can with their campus - they only take patients with private insurance or a cash bond of thousands of $$$$). But I know they have cancer treatment for people with no insurance of Medi Cal.

2. City of Hope

Good luck. I wish your mom the best - and yes, it's a "port" that she wants rather than constant poking of needles.
johan

Return to Colon Cancer