Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I have a kitten dragging back legs?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby danforth88 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:28 pm

She'll be 8 weeks on Christmas.
Up until the last few days she has been walking just fine, playing, jumping, everything! Now suddenly her back feet are dragging, they're weak and she's having a hard time walking. She did not get the breast milk for more than a week in her life, her mother passed away and we've been bottle feeding her with whiskas kitten milk (She's eating hard food now). Unfortunately I believe she does have ear mites, I would be treating her for this but when we treated her for fleas she got sick and began to throw up, I asked the vet about it and they said there is nothing I can do because she is too young. She has some flea eggs on her but I try to bathe her every few days to get them off, they're mostly located around her tail. Could any of that be what is affecting her? I read that it could be feline leukemia, she has not been checked for that, but how could that be what's wrong? If you're going to say that I really need more research on it from you. I need to know what I should do, please help? I do not have a lot of money to be spending at the Vets office but if you can ballpark the diagnoses I'll take her in and ask about it, I'm willing to spend as much as I can.
Oh and by the way, she was born from an outdoor cat, she COULD be inbred but her body shows no signs of it, no extra toes or anything, could that have something to do with it? Also, adding in any other factors it could possibly be, I have 3 adult cats... Could they have injured her?
danforth88

Postby adamek14 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:30 pm

it could be many things from a bite, a fall. she may have a vitamin difficiency and need supplements.
It could also be a blood clot, a sprain.

this is quite serious and she needs a vet.
adamek14

Postby pyrs63 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:34 pm

it could be many things from a bite, a fall. she may have a vitamin difficiency and need supplements.
It could also be a blood clot, a sprain.

this is quite serious and she needs a vet.
This is a time you really need to call a vet....sounds like an injury
pyrs63

Postby thorntun40 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:44 pm

Sounds like a spine injury. You will need to take her back to the vet and see if anything can be done - this is not normal behavior. FELV has nothing to do with leg problems.
thorntun40

Postby jelani » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:48 pm

you need kitten replacement milk and feed it every 4 hours day and night!, not whiskers kitten milk! FFS the poor thing is malnourished! and kittens (especially orphaned ones) are not fully weaned till 8 weeks and if orphaned should only be stared weaning at 8 weeks! you cant treat kitten for fleas till 12 weeks! you NEED to get it to the vet before it dies you have no idea what your doing!! apart from starving it probably also has a heart murmor, most kitten are born with them and grow out of it but malnurished ones usually die from them. you should have gone to the vet, got the free info on how to care for this kitten, and avoided all this suffering! the only person who can ballpark is the vet!
altho i think it would be best if you handed it over to a no kill shelter and let the proffesionals take care of it
jelani

Postby barris49 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:52 pm

Spinal issues are the biggest cause of rear leg problems. Keep her confined in a carrier so she's at less risk to injure it further and get her to the vet ASAP! The longer a spinal issue goes without treatment, the less successful treatment is when you do get it.
barris49

Postby sinai » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:53 pm

I have a cat to make a appointmentt with the vet it sounds like a injury if you cant get a appontment tell the vet your situatson and they will myeby come and see your cat if not dont give up find another vet.
sinai

Postby santos » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:55 pm

Vitamin A deficiency. I'd take her to the vet.
santos

Return to Leukemia Forum