Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Can Aspirin Reduce Pancreatic Cancer Risk?

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I have a hard lump behind my left ear on my neck, what could this be?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby aviah » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:32 am

I have a lump on the behind my ear on my neck. It hurts quite a bit when I touch it, as well as when I turn my neck. The pain goes from the bump all the way down my ear, right behind the lobe. I have recently had pain down the left side of my body. I have started to get headaches and feel tired a lot. I feel groggy and almost flu like. I just don't feel myself. I also have my cartilage pierced on my left ear and i had to take it out the same time I discovered the lump, because it got infected(I think it's infected it hurt a lot and had a bump). I've had it out for a week yet I still have all of these symptoms. Does any one have any ideas what this is?

Sorry this is so long!
aviah

Postby stem » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:41 am

There are many causes of lumps in the neck. The most frequently seen lumps or swellings are enlarged lymph nodes. These can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, cancer (malignancy), or other rare causes. Enlargement of the salivary glands under the jaw may be caused by infection or cancer. Lumps in the muscles of the neck--almost always in the front of the neck--are caused by injury or torticollis. Lumps in the skin or just below the skin are often caused by cysts, including sebaceous cysts.
All neck lumps in children and adults should be checked immediately. In children, most neck lumps are caused by treatable infections. However, treatment should start quickly to prevent complications or the spread of infection.

Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
Bacterial

Atypical mycobacterium (a type of bacteria)
Bacterial pharyngitis
Cat scratch disease
Peritonsillar abscess
Strep throat
Tonsillitis
Tuberculosis
Cancer of the thyroid
Goiter
Graves` disease

Viral

AIDS
Herpes infections
HIV disease
Infectious mononucleosis
Rubella (German measles)
Viral pharyngitis

An ear lump is a protuberance or localized area of swelling that can occur anywhere on the ear. Other terms used to describe the various types of lumps include bump, nodule, tumor and cyst. Lumps can be caused by any number of conditions, including infections, inflammation, tumors or trauma. Depending on the cause, ear lumps may be single or multiple, soft or firm, painful or painless. They may grow rapidly or may not change in size.

Common sites for ear lumps include your ear canal, ear lobe, and behind your ear. Ear lumps can be caused by exostoses and osteomas, which are types of tumors that grow in the bones of the ear canal. An ear lump and tenderness in the bone behind your ear, along with pain and swelling, could indicate mastoiditis (infection of the mastoid bone).

See your health care provider as soon as possible (primary care doctor), for consultation.

I hope this helps you. And good luck.
stem

Return to Thyroid Cancer