Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I have a calcified thyroid nodule.Can it be thyroid cancer?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby ahimelech » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:05 pm

I am 29 yrs old and 35 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby.
Last week we noticed a big lump on the left side of my neck.My OBG said it was a thyroid nodule.
Tests for thyroid hormone came normal.
The thyroid nodule is quite big about 4.3 cm.
They did an ultrasound and said they saw a lump with a lot of calcification and blood supply to it.
They also did FNA biopsy and took samples from both my nodules since the other one also had a small nodule.

What are the chances that it will be a thyroid cancer?
Also what does the calcification with blood supply indicate?
If my nodule is that big,is there a chance that it may have spread?
If it is not cancer,do calcified nodules or thyroid glands still need to be removed?

I am still waiting for my biopsy results and hoping for the best.
I will discuss all this in detail with my doctor but your answers also will be highly appreciated.
ahimelech

Postby eliott » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:12 pm

The first thing you need to do, is relax.
Understand that IF it is cancer that the survival rate for thyroid cancer is high. Thyroid cancer is slow growing. The chances of it being spread to other areas of the body or to the lymphnodes often depends on the type of cancer you have. There are different forms

Papillary and/or mixed papillary/follicular ~ 78%
Follicular and/or Hurthle cell ~ 17%
Medullary ~ 4%
Anaplastic ~ 1%

I was diagnosed with mixed papillary/follicular carcinoma in 2007. I've been fighting ever since.

I'm not gonna pretend with you... your nodule is big. My biggest measured at 4.8 cm. The smallest 4.6 cm. Not too much bigger then yours, they wanted them removed for that reason alone.

Please note, that thryoid cancer is not detectable by blood tests. Many noncancerous thyroid conditions can cause an elevated thyroglobulin level thus the reason the blood tests are not used to determine cancer.

I have provided you with some links to read up all about thyroid cancer and disease. These links have helped me so much, from when they first discovered my nodules and throughout my fight.

Best of luck to you...

Feel free to contact me if you need support, I've been where you are and will be for the rest of my life!
eliott

Postby korey37 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Calcified nodule is not necessary means it is cancer, however the increased blood supply is not a good sign.
the FNA from the different areas of the nodule must be done to assure the adequate sample for for diagnostic.
korey37

Return to Thyroid Cancer