Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I had papillary thyroid cancer, how long will I live?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby corley39 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:57 am

I read it on the internet that the prognosis for a person over 50 years old that had papillary thyroid cancer the size of a golf ball (which I had) could only live for 10 years or less. I would really like to know because I want to get my house in order. I am not afraid. So would somebody please tell me.
corley39

Postby fagin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:00 am

Madam , 1st of all life and death is in the hands of god ,,, so no one can tell you ever how long will you live ,,, but what i can tell you is some statistical facts based on patients diagnosed with Papillary carcinoma of the Thyroid gland ,,

before this i want to bring you some good news i hope:

the treatment for this type of cancer is surgical resection and it is curative in most of the cases
even if the caner cells metastasized (usually to the cervical lymph nodes) they are very responsive for Radiotherapy with Iodine 131...

now the prognosis is EXCELLENT , 20 years survival = 90%
which means , after the time of diagnosis with 20 years you will find patients with this type of cancer are still alive and if they died it is probably due to another cause rather than the actual cancer ,,
so you are lucky to get this type of cancer , because other types like the anaplastic carcinoma of the thyroid is very aggressive and rapidly fatal
fagin

Postby howard » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:04 am

I am a 54 year old woman with a recent cytology report that states, the following, "highly suspicious of papillary thyroid carcinoma". The size is small 1.5 cm. and I have been having high anxiety! Your response is so comforting. God bless you, Doc !!
howard

Postby erbin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:11 am

Hey, I know you are curious, but a friend of mine had cancer, and he was told he had 2 years to live. So he did everything he wanted to do in life as soon as he could. Well----he lived 15 more years!

My mother has cancer, and the doctors told her it could be 1-50 years. Its so hard to say, because there are always those exceptions. And even healthy people can die tomorrow in an accident, so..whats the point? Tomorrow isnt guaranteed for anyone. Get things in order just so you dont have to worry about it later on.

No one can answer your question. Just enjoy life and stay positive. I really believe cancer responds to the person's attitude. =)
erbin

Postby konstanz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:13 am

who knows how long any of us have to live....no one can predict something like that.....many people with stage 4 cancer survive longer then 10 years some have their cancer go into remission...if it puts your mind at rest then put your house in order....... but dont give up living either!
konstanz

Return to Thyroid Cancer