Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I Am 16 Years Old, And My Dad Has Leukemia. (he Is 43)?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby ElizabethAvellan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:03 am

He was a firefighter and has it from working at ground zero...but anyways he is having a bone marrow transplant in like 2 weeks. I am really scared because I know this is a serious procedure & he won't be able to come home for a while, so what should I expect? What can I do to help him or keep him happy when I visit him? Will I be able to visit a lot you think? When he is home, what can I do to help him or just make things better? I am so scared, I need my dad, I love him so much and I just want to do anything I can to lessen his pain or suffering. Please just give me any advice on anything. Thank you so so much
ElizabethAvellan

Postby Tobey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:06 am

I can't imagine what your family is going through.
The first thing that comes to mind is to tell your father about all the things you mentioned here.
Ask him what he needs from you and trust that when he answers you it's the truth.
Tobey

Postby Aodhhan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:09 am

Following the surgery, your father will probably be kept in a clean room because his immune system will be very, very weak after having marrow replaced. He'll feel tired a lot of the time. When you go visit him, you'll have to put on sterile clothing so as to not bring in any foreign infections; even getting a cold is dangerous when your immune system is compromised. But just treat him like you always do--smile and tell him about your day at school, about any interesting things that happened. With diseases like this, people feel like their normal lives have been disrupted so much, and having things that stay ordinary and the same is a huge relief. It'll make him happy, and take his mind off the illness for a bit. Many of my own family members have had cancer, and all of them say the thing that makes them feel bad is people acting like they feel sorry for them and treating them like they are helpless.

When he does come home, he will still feel tired a lot. Some days will be better than others, but some days he will have a really hard time. Offer to help him with things if it looks like he's struggling, or if he's had a bad day, do something to cheer him up like making his favorite food. It may make you happy to know that it has been scientifically proven that people who have support from their friends and family have greatly boosted immune function-- they get sick a lot less, and recover from illness much faster. So just by being there to support when he needs you, you are helping to make him better.

Be strong for him, and have courage. If he sees that you believe it will be all right, any fear he might feel will be eased. Optimism is critical when fighting cancer. Your father has something to live for-wonderful family like you, so help him to see that he is strong enough to fight.

Good luck and God bless.
Aodhhan

Postby Pedr » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:13 am

He will recover from the bone marrow transplant, these are highly successful. Just help him do the day to day things he might need a bit of help with such as getting drinks and things to eat. Maybe offer to do some cleaning around the home to take some of the burden off your mom. Just try and be a helpful as possible and he wil really appreciate it.
Pedr

Postby garnett » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:18 am

I'm 13 and my brother has Leukemia too. He's 9. I don't have much advice, because this is new to me too. He was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and has been at St.Jude's and I haven't seen him since they day my mom took him to the emergency room. You should be able to visit him. I can't visit my brother because St.Jude's is in Tennessee and we live in Florida :/ That's about 1,000 miles away. I do suggest you going on to http://community.lls.org/index.jspa It's the website for the leukemia and lymphoma society, where people who had or have this can help you with any questions you have. It's great! They're really nice.

I'll pray for you and your family. You'll get through this just like I will too :) Good luck to your dad on his battle!

Please help me:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AhA8qvBUuKeLeC_IbWthybDsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20111018092727AAIklR8
garnett

Return to Leukemia Forum